Wakizashi identification

TomMcRei

Hi Tony,

Swords are very much like ladies: wait a couple of minutes and there will be a more attractive one passing by.  Keep your money in your pocket, check out the sales section on here and what other dealers have and you'll have a better idea of what you can get for your money and a better appreciation of what you're getting.

• Like 4

Cost of recreating tsuka, saya etc. is not a problem because I am not going to do it.

Rather leave it as it is right know.

Just want to buy this for educational purposes, I want to learn more and not spend great amount of money on it.

Can anyone estimate how old is it?

It’s a hard one to date as this type of blade was made in every period and there are few details visible. Sticking a finger in the air I’d guess  late koto to early Shinto (1550 to 1650) based on the colour of the patina on the tang, but it’s only a guess and other views could be equally valid. 

100$ isn’t much money and you’ll get that back if you sell it so I don’t think you have too much to lose. Maybe working on it with uchiko will bring up the detail and give you something to go on research wise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

It’s a hard one to date as this type of blade was made in every period and there are few details visible. Sticking a finger in the air I’d guess  late koto to early Shinto (1550 to 1650) based on the colour of the patina on the tang, but it’s only a guess and other views could be equally valid. 

100$ isn’t much money and you’ll get that back if you sell it so I don’t think you have too much to lose. Maybe working on it with uchiko will bring up the detail and give you something to go on research wise. 

Thanks for help :)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TomMcRei said:

Just want to buy this for educational purposes, I want to learn more and not spend great amount of money on it.

i'm afraid the only one thing you will learn with this sword which seems to be an amateurish work is what you must avoid...   

• 1 month later...

Oof... that habaki really doesn't belong with this blade.  Reminds me of the last time I tried squeezing into jeans too small for my waist.  "Muffin top munemachi"... and someone abused the nakago and ruined the shape just to squeeze that habaki on there.  Ugh.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..