Omori Hisanori?

Brian

• 3 years later...

Hello, I was reading and like my father that saw a pelé football card on the antique road show, I like him I thought dont I have one similar item like this.

Then no bug, it could be a fake. So then this is an excellent opportunity to scrutinize this tsuba a bit closer, instead of bad photos/pictures of the net. So I took two new bad photos with my phone camera.  So now, please let me know what you want to look closer at and what details tell whether this is a fake or not. This might be a good learning tool for me and others to spot fakes or not. After a bit searching on the net I found two others that are similar to the one I have and the one on Bonhams. One was sold at Christies https://www.christie...m/en/lot/lot-5316579. The other on Pinterest https://www.pinteres.../179510735125414896/

Here is mine... I do not believe it is iron, or a copper alloy. I think I read somewhere about zink alloy as a material for tsuba.

image.png.7a5b559c9871653bb7c16681d0221e8d.pngimage.png.88f65aee636406932f21fb228dd406bf.png

Then I also have a small digital microscope... The nagako hitsu ana looks to been saw out... 

image.png.de57e296e0388bb8cba6577b1bbc2680.png

The Mei looks at least that someone did it.

image.png.abe05027dabb7d4709c7b2e187c81e6b.png

Rooster head

image.png.7fe184b110e2128017ba6129a89e2c82.png

one of the peaches

image.thumb.png.200d82cfb741f1a09e4138c797e6c994.png

Let me know what you think, what you want to look more closely at?

Best Björn

Edited by BjornLundin
Added about material...
  • Like 1

Hi Bjorn

Looking at the images, it seems as if it could be cast brass with some sort of applied (possibly sprayed on?) surface finish. The colour of the base metal appears to be showing through on the highlights. 
I have seen this design, possibly even this shape tsuba done in the most fantastic true mixed metalwork. I’ve also seen later cast and patinated versions.  
I think there is a really good one on this Forum somewhere. Also was one on eBay some time ago.

I’ll have a root around and see what turns up.

sadly, my money would be on cast fake

Best.Colin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BjornLundin said:

what you want to look more closely at?

For me the nakago-ana is always an important part of the guard to watch, the one you have Bjorn shows all the features of the copies. They may be copies but darn, some of them are good workmanship. :( 

• Like 1

Bjorn, when we look at the more distant images of your tsuba it appears to have an overall grey patina. Just imagine that someone has sprayed the tsuba grey.

Then when we look at the excellent close up images we see that it looks as if the grey spray has beeb rubbed off many of the high points of the design ie those that would receive the most handling, wear and tear etc (eg the peach, the roosters head). The colour we see on these high points is now a brassy colour ie we are looking at the actual metal that the tsuba is made from because the surface spray (or whatever it is) has worn away.

Not sure if I’ve explained that very well🙂

Hi,

I think the brassy colors are probably artifacts from taking the photo, and some shine may be from my hand. I will see if I can take a few more. If my heart can take it, I will also try to swab a little of non-acid paint remover on a spot of the tsuba. I will update later. After placing the tsubas found online next to each other and comparing to mine, I am pretty convinced that the one sold at Christies is the one that I have. Bonhams has quite good quality of there photos, I give them 5 stars.

For the nagako-ana, I compare now the three tsubas I have found. I removed my photo, since it is the same as Christies. The left one is Bonhams, then mine (Christies), and to the right is the one found on Pinterest. I am a bit on the side that if cast the nagako was cut out later.

image.thumb.png.227d165fa9e416644267bc6ffffa6564.png<

8 minutes ago, Spartancrest said:

There appears to be several colour variations with the rooster design, I don't see inlays but rather overlay. The base metal underneath is very difficult to pin down - not iron, not shakudo?

rooster reproductions.jpg

The tsuba to the left is the one I found on Pinterest, the middle and the right is from Bonhams.

• Thanks 1

One on Christies March 29, 2005  https://www.invaluab...6a16609d9c37c0b073d8  signed jumyo oite Koishigawa Hisanori saku
The shakudo migakiji mokkogata tsuba, decorated with a rooster spreading its wings by a tree in iroe takazogan
3 1/8in. (7.9cm.) long.    Wood storage box inscribed by Homma Junji (Kunzan)

It is not the same guard as Christies 12 May 2010  https://www.christie...m/en/lot/lot-5316579  Mokko-Shaped Shinchu Tsuba. Signed Koishikawa (ni) oite Hisanori kore (wo) tsukuru, Meiji Period (late 19th century)
Inlaid in shinchu takazogan with a cockerel, the reverse with a peach tree 7.8cm. high

[The minute size difference is likely measurement inaccuracy.]

:) The internet is a treasure cove of information.

47 minutes ago, Spartancrest said:

One on Christies March 29, 2005  https://www.invaluab...6a16609d9c37c0b073d8  signed jumyo oite Koishigawa Hisanori saku
The shakudo migakiji mokkogata tsuba, decorated with a rooster spreading its wings by a tree in iroe takazogan
3 1/8in. (7.9cm.) long.    Wood storage box inscribed by Homma Junji (Kunzan)

It is not the same guard as Christies 12 May 2010  https://www.christie...m/en/lot/lot-5316579  Mokko-Shaped Shinchu Tsuba. Signed Koishikawa (ni) oite Hisanori kore (wo) tsukuru, Meiji Period (late 19th century)
Inlaid in shinchu takazogan with a cockerel, the reverse with a peach tree 7.8cm. high

[The minute size difference is likely measurement inaccuracy.]

I believe that the Christie 2005 may be the same as Bonhams (left). Christies photo (to the right) quality can be discussed. Base metal is unknown to me... 

Image<image.thumb.png.d6aa2cbaec2c77e6bc8b9a2d6a46abaf.png

Bjorn

Im still puzzled that you don’t see the areas that look worn. I’ve done a screenshot of what the peach and the feathers look like on my iPad. The”brass” colour is what I refer to……but it doesn’t look like that when you have it in your hand?

IMG_3802.png

First, thank you for commenting! I value it greatly.

Hi, no sorry that is a reflection on the peach. I will take another one :P 

I have now done a small test with a non acid paint remover. I have added a small drop on a part of the tsuba, and waited 10-15 min as instructed on the product. Then cleaned with 75% EtoH.

To the left (original), then moving to the right addition of paint remover, then clean with EtOH, and then clean with water and dry. There was no "paint" removed. See if I will try on the gold highlights also... 

Best Björn

image.png.28fac46316a499f306806192a51fa117.pngimage.png.79bf21bdd28b1c7be94a1d16a6c5f6e4.pngimage.png.1c939f7d233ed861c9c0806c21305237.pngimage.png.b0129df1d7c8a9a65b25b0e76e6e2deb.png

I took a new photo of the peach, 

image.png.101485887565a351316ea878ba007db6.png

While I was at it, I took a few photos of the rim of the tsuba. There are some very tiny traces of file marks.

Here on the feathers that go around the rim, and on the "plain" side of the rim. This is 40x so it is not something I can see with my bare eyes. 

image.png.7a330397f25be1e92a3c996bd8a7cc97.pngimage.png.2662cc7bdc9b340683ab78b1cfb877bb.pngimage.png.96943ce61bc865c77457a64355ab43f1.png

Bjorn

i am beginning to question my sanity🙂🙂

in your new photo of the peach I still clearly see two colours…..the grey and then a brass colour on high spots. I still see it on many other  high points. 

@Spartancrest….

can you see what I mean? Or have I really gone crazy. 
I outline in red what I am seeing in this image…….

IMG_3802.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah, so sorry. It was the gold (brass) high lights that you pointed out. Those are probably painted? on. 

Yes Brian, it is very much likely to be cast with some hands on? work on it.

Is it made to dupe the market, or more like a souvenir...

I try not to defend it, but find it interesting that I and others can understand the details that says "it is a fake" . When you say every sign, then what is the signs? Overall feeling? 

Best Björn

10 minutes ago, BjornLundin said:

Ah, so sorry. It was the gold (brass) high lights that you pointed out. Those are probably painted? on. 

No Bjorn. I’m thinking the grey colour has been applied over the brass and the brass now is showing through now the grey has worn off. I think the brass colour is the actual metal it’s made from.

• Like 1

I believe the "Cockerel" tsuba type is related as far as manufacture goes with these two more common "replicas" 

s-l1600.jpg   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/315148884742   This one is of a lesser grade than many others [Also editions can have detailed iroe]

s-l1600.jpg   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/386742112308      [Sorry a rushed example, there are better editions with iroe ]

I have no proof but these all have the same age "feel" and a certain technical skill, and like the 'Cockerel' they can come in varied  coloured "patinas". My guess is they are [or were] all made by the same factory along with a number of other designs. They are generally so well made they would pass most casual inspection if not for the fact that they appear in substantial numbers. I don't know if they were made as souvenirs or as something to be fitted to imitation swords or even intended simply to separate the novice from their money. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matsunoki said:

Bjorn

i am beginning to question my sanity🙂🙂

in your new photo of the peach I still clearly see two colours…..the grey and then a brass colour on high spots. I still see it on many other  high points. 

@Spartancrest….

can you see what I mean? Or have I really gone crazy. 
I outline in red what I am seeing in this image…….

IMG_3802.jpeg

Fwiw, I agree with you. That particular colour on the high points of the plate/details, definitely suggests wear.

In the case of this guard, I think it has worked in its favour that the base colour has come through in those spots as it does look somewhat intentional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1