family sword gunto

samusamu

Is there a ridge connecting ha/munemachi? That would be odd.....

The overall shape, however, seems quite ok, except the area were the tang meets the blade, as mentioned. Furthermore, the habaki (blade collar) doesn’t deserve the name and the saya (scabbard) raises also some doubts. 
I’m sure, that our military sword collectors can shed some light!

Marsel,

I have noticed a lot of blades collected in Southeast Asia have suffered quite a bit from years of heat and humidity.  Such massive corrosion makes it difficult to say much.  I'm puzzled by the area I've enlarged here.  Is it just corrosion that has been smoothed over?

710977852_Roughblade.thumb.jpg.f09c3b1e15ca39590e8391bd27205762.jpg

The whole thing seem really poorly made, and maybe even not finished, like Uwe mentioned about the habaki.  The saya is made to be leather covered, but the covers often are missing.  My first gut feel makes me think of an article someone posted about POWs being forced to make swords.  It looks Japanese, but, to me looks crudely made and unfinished.  Here's the story:

POWmadeSwords.thumb.jpg.6cc614d8fe35f923b6117deec7426d64.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..