Wakizashi Identification: WWII Bringback

VealDonPeppe

Hello.  I was recently entrusted with a Wakizashi my great grandfather brought back from WWII.  He was an officer in the Navy.  I attached some pics to the imgur link below.  I'd love to learn more about the sword.  I'm not looking to sell it but would love any info and possible value.  Thank you very much.

https://imgur.com/a/VqsmVAz

-Julius

IMG_3904.jpeg

Dear Julius.

Welcome to NMB!  Your sword is indeed a wakizashi, the pictures of the nakago, tang, indicate that it has been shortened at some time in it's life.  The mounts are complete, though I cannot see the kashira clearly and that may be a replacement put together when the hilt was re wrapped and that by someone who did not know what they were doing.  In the sword's present condition it is going to be hard to say much more about it with any degree of certainty except that it is an original Japanese sword, it will be at least as early as the 19th century though the shortening may suggest earlier.  The tsuba, guard, may be an early one.

You have resisted the urge to clean anything, stick with that idea, just a little light oil on the blade while you work out what to do.  If it were mine I would probably arrange to have the hilt re bound by an expert and keep it the way it is now.  As to value, well not a great deal.  In the UK a few hundred pounds, probably the same in the US.  As a family piece brought back by your grandfather, of course it's a treasure.

Hope this helps, much more to come from others I am sure.

All the best.

• Like 2

Hi Julius,

It's hard to pick out some of the fine details of the blade that might give a better idea of its age. If you are able to provide some detail shots of the tip, the white area near the edge and any visible grain pattern above that white area you may get some more precise information.

Otherwise welcome to the world of Japanese swords; hope you'll hang around and have fun.

Thanks everyone for the responses, here are a few more pics of the blade and one of the Kashira.  Really appreciate this.  Additionally, does anyone know someone in the NYC area that would be good to bring the Wakizashi to?  I'd consider getting it fixed up a bit and rewrapped or polished; whatever is recommended.  It is also missing its Mekugi and I'll need to get a new one made for it.  Heres the link with more pics added.

https://imgur.com/a/VqsmVAz

-Julius

Hi Julius,

You can make a new mekugi yourself; just whittle a bamboo chopstick.  And don't wait to do this; do it ASAP.  Without that pin to lock the blade in the handle, it can fall loose: onto the floor, inside the scabbard, through your foot, there are many variations.

Grey

• Like 2

Julius, 

“Restoration” is not a one-stop shop. Each craftsman specializes in one area. Also, it’s not a cheap proposition. For example, if you want to polish the sword, I would recommend sending it off to have new shirasaya made (~$400 for a wakizashi, ~6 months lead time). Then, send it off to have it polished by a properly trained polisher (~$100/inch, ~18 months lead time). By the time all said and done, you are looking at 2 years and $2k-$3k. You might want to hold off on any restoration and do a bit of reading to figure out what you really want to do. 

Hoanh

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 1:15 AM, hxv said:

Julius, 

“Restoration” is not a one-stop shop. Each craftsman specializes in one area. Also, it’s not a cheap proposition. For example, if you want to polish the sword, I would recommend sending it off to have new shirasaya made (~$400 for a wakizashi, ~6 months lead time). Then, send it off to have it polished by a properly trained polisher (~$100/inch, ~18 months lead time). By the time all said and done, you are looking at 2 years and $2k-$3k. You might want to hold off on any restoration and do a bit of reading to figure out what you really want to do. 

Hoanh

Thank you very much for the information.  Is there anyone you recommend in particular to get a shirasaya made? I think I may opt to have this done and not doing a polish as of yet.  Appreciate it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..