Another Sword Rescue !

dwmc

I noticed the thread " What do you look for" and couldn't help but think, yes, a nicely shaped sugata, beautiful hamon and hada, signed, in polish, etc.

All of the swords I am in possession of are from inheritance, estate sales, antique stores, pawn shops and flea markets. I would prefer to own a 15 or 20 point, relatively unknown smith, as a 100 point rated smith only to discover it was gimei. ( I know, buy papered )  My passion is to rescue a few swords here and there which may have been collecting dust on the upper self of a shop for the past 30 or 40 years, and find historical value in most if not all nihonto . I can't help but think what a swordsmith or samurai in possession of such would think of their sword waiting for years to have someone save it from it's present fate. I do not believe or disbelieve a sword has a spirit, but there are many, many that do.

This is my most recent rescue, it was 40 yrs. collecting dust on an upper shelf of an Army surplus and militaria store.

Dave M.

20201221_083247 (2).jpg

20201221_082456 (3).jpg

20201221_082324 (5).jpg

20201221_113000 (2).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

Looks like the mountings is missing a proper guard and someone has fashioned a replacement? That and there's a brass screw that looks out of place. A good find regardless!

Appreciate the input. I was thinking the sword was a  Meji era 1886 Type 19 kyu-gunto cavalry variation. As with many of my finds, they are often missing various parts and have modifications of some sort. Part of my quest is an attempt to bring them back as close to original as possible. I'll be needing a matching fuchi and chuso also. I'm sure however, the guard is original to sword.

Below is a full photo of guard and grip.

Dave M.

20201221_113000.jpg

20201221_083258 (2).jpg

7 hours ago, ChrisW said:

It does look like that may be the case! It's definitely seen some abuse. Sometimes a fuchi will split under the pressure of the guard assembly on kyu gunto and then be discarded.

The first picture of the guard didn't give a true idea of what it looked like, and that's a very good possibility of what you mentioned about the missing fuchi. It may take a while to locate a replacement. The blade and saya don't show the abuse the grip and guard do. The saya has light surface rust, but no dents. One can only speculate as to how the damage occurred to the grip and guard, but then again, a 120+ yr cavalry saber. I'm surprised the same' is as good of condition as it is.

Again, appreciate the input,

Dave M.

20201221_083315 (3).jpg

Dave,

In case you haven't already ID'd it, this is an 1886 model Company grade Cavalry Officer's sword

Fuller and Gregory, pgs 50,51

Nice save!  I appreciate your heart on this direction of collecting.  I feel that way about them too.  Maybe I'll try doing some hunting around town.

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Bruce,

Appreciate the information, I don't have a copy of that particular Fuller and Gregory, will need to put it on the list. By all means, highly suggest taking a look around, possibly save a few, and find something interesting !

Dave M.

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nice save!! Id work on kissaki rust. Dont want it to go any further.

Bone it or in a pinch copper coin. Better some marks than loose it corrosion.

Got cha ! I've applied a light coat of high quality machine oil and will go with your bone or cooper coin advice.

Thanks Stephen,

Dave M.

34 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

Make sure not to use a newer copper coin as it is too hard. I use an old large British penny that I received from  Arnold Frenzel, a person that many of us miss.

Thank you as well Mr. Hennick. I have a garage full of deer antler and decided on bone. Very happy Stephen pointed out the rust, it was a bit more serious than I initially thought. Worked on it until it felt smooth, applied high quality sewing machine oil. I'm sure many miss your good friend Arnold...

Best Regards.

Dave M.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..