Strange shaped saya I.D.?

Ron STL

It kind of looks like a Kenyan weapen used to defend against lions. After quick search I learned it's called a 'rungu'. https://bit.ly/2WDFw3M

Quite clearly not really was OP's saya was based on but in shape with the small point on the buttend it is really quite similar. In any case I think it's a simply shaped to make the saya a weapon on its own.

I forgot to post the above and photograph the object downstairs yesterday... I'll post now and add the picture when I have it.

22 hours ago, mecox said:

Ron, here's some tanto koshirae  with similar concept.  1381361647_tantokoshirae.thumb.jpg.0477589a18908cb623ed00826e86cf9f.jpg

I always found the type on the right (referred to as lobster shaped (right?)), to be quite aesthetically pleasing.   

Sorry I can't copy the above to add to previous post on phone.. 

Initially, I saw the butt of a matchlock but thought that strange. Oddly enough, I also thought of an African weapon which is totally strange, but I collected those for awhile. I would stick with Japanese culture here, but there is a good chance it related only to something important to the owner of the sword. Just look at the similar but different shapes of the tanto koshirae posted. If these things could only talk...

Ron STL

Good one Mal.  I had been thinking along the same lines that it looked like a South Sea Islander club.  Between the black of the "club" and the saya proper is a line suggesting the "club" might have been a later addition and possibly not of Japanese origin...

BaZZa.

That's a possibility Barry. Makes me recall such a wakizashi years ago that was "dressed" as an islander sword, but the blade was an interesting wakizashi, no doubt picked up in the field and redressed to taste. You may recall the blade, too, pictured in Fujishiiro Shintohen p. 309 if memory is correct. Nakajima polished the sword later but a large opening in the kissaki caused me to part with it. Back to the topic sword, I think the koshirae is too well made to have been redressed by some islander. 

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..