Tanto Identification and Value?

BLDragonFlag

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me out. I could really use a hand in identifying, and determining the age and value of what I think might be an Inoue Shinkai tanto? The scabbard has a small blade with housing attached to the side, the markings can be seen there.

The primary blade seems to be in excellent condition with no visible markings or wear.

Anyone have some ideas as to what this might be worth, how old it is, and who it was made by?

43743592_244558662886038_8034130420482179072_n.jpg

43878131_193701888245305_8121949805762052096_n.jpg

20201217_142039.jpg

From what I see, it has zero chance of being a  Inoue Shinkai tanto. Age-wise, I would guess no earlier than Edo. Value-wise, it's hard to say. Rough guess, under $1000. More close up pictures, especially without the habaki, will help to narrow things down a little.

Hoanh

Dear....?

Please add your name to your posts here.  From what little you say you seem to think that the marks on the kogatana, the small knife in the scabbard, are what counts.  Sorry to be the bearere of bad news but the signature on these pieces, while sometimes genuine, are often nothing to do with the smith who actually made them. A bit like a Ferrari branded wristwatch.  As Shinkai is a particularly well known maker and widely forged the chances of this being by him are slim to none at all even before we start looking at the signature in detail.

As Hoanh says this seems to be a nice little unsigned tanto in quite good condition so the value is what it is.  I do hope that you have not been mislead by the person who sold you this one and that what we have shared does not come as bad news.

Slip off that habaki and take a shot or two of the bare blade as Hoanh suggests and let's see what others have to say.

All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..