Japan auctions gunto with stamp

mecox

I am interested to see recently (last 6 months) gunto on some Japan based auctions that have Torokusho and have stamps.  There were two with Sho/sakura stamp and also this Amahide on Yahoo Japan. The sword is shingunto with leather/wood saya, has a long mei plus the "Ama"  kokuin, but at the top of the nakago are 2 small stamped squares.  They look like top half of a "Seki" stamp. It has a torokusho dated Reiwa 2 July (that is 2020).  The paper lists the mei and in brackets "kokuin" but does not mention the stamp/s.   The mei includes "kitau kore".   Was this a "recently found" sword?  Does this mean Japanese regulations are now more flexible?

amahide kokuin.jpg

Mal,

I'm weak on the papering terms, but I think you're talking about "registered" as opposed to NBTHK/NTHK papers?  We had a big discussion on that when we started seeing Mantetsu Koa Isshin blades with registration papers.  The rules have been loosened a bit, as I understand.  I think it's explained in detail there, though I haven't gone back through it to check.

Here's the thread:

I’m not a very good searcher, but I know there was a discussion about the latest registration requirements. I was recently in an antique shop in Narita Japan and the owner had an Emura gunto.  He said he would not have any trouble registering it for shipment.

2.5 million I did find this post that claimed there are 2.5 million swords registered in Japan.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..