Owari Fuchi-Kashira Set

Vermithrax16

This was the first time I had a hand in sending anything to an NBTHK shinsa. You would be shocked to learn I was fond of a rabbit fuchi/kashira set (shocking!), and wanted an NBTHK opinion on them as non-tsuba fittings are really not a strong area of knowledge for me.

Tokubetsu Hozon judgement for Owari was the result. As always, in hand they are better looking and richer in details, but I did the best I could with some pictures. This was the July shinsa, so physical papers should come some time next year.

Owari_FKset.thumb.jpg.16ef1f2ae3f087d5c8b178a32b88db34.jpg

• Like 4

Morning, 

I will aim for more pictures after I get from under 14 inches of snow today.....

Yes Ray. The fuchi is solid gold.

I was reminded last night in another discussion re the different materials; this set was perhaps meant to signify day (gold) contrasted with night (shakudo). An interesting motif along those lines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanto54 said:

I'm intrigued by the differences in the nanako.

Yes George. The same thought here.

At a glance, I would have thought the waves were by the same hand. I didn't know what to make of the two types of nanako. From the nanako alone, I would have thought one piece older than another. I am also surprised to find the fuchi is solid gold. Double check that with basics:  weight vs volume displaced in a beaker of water? I thought it would be gold wash over a copper base. Without someone like Ford to offer an opinion, I wondered if part of the reason for an Owari kinko attribution might be the sort of gold (flashing?). To be told it is solid gold sort of sinks that theory.

Owari and Owari kinko are suppose to be one of my stronger areas of interest and study, but I could not have confidently said "Owari Kinko" on this one. The NBTHK isn't exactly beating my door down to be a shinsa judge.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..