Type 98 with tassel

hale1940

Hey there, 

I posted about this Type 98 a while back as I was looking at purchasing it. Well, I did purchase it and after almost getting lost by the postal service it has finally arrived! 

Made by Takehisa in Autumn 1943, a pretty classic looking Type 98 to my eyes. 

I’ve decided to take some of my own pictures and post them here, though I’ve included some of the older pics of it apart... since I have yet to take it apart myself... perhaps a little nervous haha. 

428D0B0C-8508-48E0-809A-762726864614.jpeg

B15A113A-3D52-44CF-A899-9CA133192D12.jpeg

90C09EEB-FECD-4B2D-86D7-440A40C45225.jpeg

6CFAF022-58D5-4BB8-AC17-C5B59B8C42D2.jpeg

6AE9AEE8-2000-4068-A6CF-9213E0FEE011.jpeg

8F19E496-B09D-4E15-92A4-0DDC7EE8218B.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice one Hale!  I've added your Takehisa to my files of "W" stamped blades.  I now have 3 Takehisa with the stamp, all Autumn of '43, all with the same black painted numbers (107, 155, and 608).  155 has similar Type 98 fittings with the thin tsuba.  608 is in Rinji-seishiki fittings.  The "W" is stamped as "M" on 155, but as "W" on the other 2.

Is your sarute the clasped-hands?

15 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Nice one Hale!  I've added your Takehisa to my files of "W" stamped blades.  I now have 3 Takehisa with the stamp, all Autumn of '43, all with the same black painted numbers (107, 155, and 608).  155 has similar Type 98 fittings with the thin tsuba.  608 is in Rinji-seishiki fittings.  The "W" is stamped as "M" on 155, but as "W" on the other 2.

Is your sarute the clasped-hands?

Hey Bruce! 

So is that what that back paint is, a number? 107? 

also the sarute is not the clasped hand type, just plain curved bar. I think when the pervious owner added it when he added the tassel. 

two questions. What are our thoughts on the use of the W stamp? And also, do we know of any more information about Takehisa of the methods he used for making his swords? 

thanks! 

The painted numbers were likely (only theory existing) by the shop that did the fittings.  All officer blades varied in size and shape, so fittings were customized to each blade.  Numbers were put on blade and fittings to keep them all together during the process.

You can read a bunch on the W stamp here: THE MYSTERIOUS "W" STAMP! But the short version is that it was a mid-way/half-way inspection mark.  It's still a bit of a mystery as to why it wasn't widely used and only a few smiths, plus the Mantestu blade (and of them, only a small percentage) had them.

On Takehisa, I'm not a smith guy.  I'm sure you'll find a bunch on him with the search window.

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

The painted numbers were likely (only theory existing) by the shop that did the fittings.  All officer blades varied in size and shape, so fittings were customized to each blade.  Numbers were put on blade and fittings to keep them all together during the process.

You can read a bunch on the W stamp here: THE MYSTERIOUS "W" STAMP! But the short version is that it was a mid-way/half-way inspection mark.  It's still a bit of a mystery as to why it wasn't widely used and only a few smiths, plus the Mantestu blade (and of them, only a small percentage) had them.

On Takehisa, I'm not a smith guy.  I'm sure you'll find a bunch on him with the search window.

Thanks for all the info Bruce. As usual I appreciate it! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..