Need help Identifying and Worth

DravenLadd

Hey guys,

I have gotten a hold of a sword that I think is a 1945 nco wood handle Japanese sword. From the research that I have done, and my very limited knowledge, it seems real.  I need help confirming and also figuring out its worth. Thanks

here is a link to the pictures

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OMA4u4iu2wg5vik5VQ3g2jt1re4C_noq?usp=sharing

also I have some questions on another WWII officers sword. Sword was signed by Muneyoshi. I talked to someone from MIlitaryItems.com and they said the blade looks 1500s. I could not get them to answer back after the initial identification. If you could help with that swords identification and worth as well it would be appreciated. Here is that link for the pictures

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kWwODCZECQIYdjNp8s0SvDF7z986pcan?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

Same here, and I have a Google account.  All I could do was click "request entry" or some such wording. 

Posting the pics is always the best route.  4 years from now when someone is searching for items like you're talking about, the links are often dead.  Posted pics are here for posterity.

• Thanks 1

First sword is indeed a late NCO sword.

Second one looks old indeed but you’ll have to post pictures of the blade without Habaki, flat, and seen from above so we can judge the age better. It is suriage. Can’t say much more for the moment. Hamon seems to have Mino influence and looks Koto. Hard to say more.

This is what I got from MilitaryItems.com

Muneyoshi 宗吉 

"This sword is signed Muneyoshi.  The blade has been shortened several inches a long time ago so I can't tell if it is still katana length (cutting edge greater than 24 inches).  The blade looks like it has some good age to it.  It looks mid muromachi period at first glance (1500 or earlier).  

There were 60 or so makers that used the name Muneyoshi dating as far back as 1190 on up to the mid 1800s.   It is hard to tell which is the exact sword smith  from the photos."

I just dont know how to figure out which Muneyoshi it is. , and if he was actually right in his assessment. The blade is for sure Katana length though.

20201028_102417.jpg

The Munyoshi is an interesting one. There is some age to the nakago, and overall nijimei signatures were not terribly common during the Edo period. The hamon with considerable width and small gunome or choji like features likely means Bizen or Muromachi Mino. I believe the second option is more likely, if only based on the probability alone. Better pictures would be much more helpful (more shots with hamon, overall view from a side etc.), but tentatively Mino from circa 1500 is a possibility.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

The emblem at the top of the tsuba is of the Suya Shoten Co, a quality company that had a long history, good article on them HERE.

I don't follow the 4 versions of the late-war Type 95, but I believe the prices have recovered from the COVID slump, and those were going for over $1,400 at the time.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..