Those selling thousands of $'s of stuff...

Brian

I know I always say this place is free and will never have a charge to sell or interact here.
And I really resisted saying this. But seriously.....
I am seeing many sellers who move thousands of $'s of goods through this place regularly, who have never contributed a cent. Or who won't even consider a $30 Gold membership for 6 months. Guys with multiple $2000+ sales who don't even say thanks. There are multiple ways to say thanks in the STORE section above.
And then we have others that will send even a single dollar if they do even a $10 sale...and will contribute every time. Those guys...these small handful...are allowing these big sellers the opportunity and privilege to sell. Because those few guys are keeping this place running.
Thank you again to the few who are always so generous. To the others, be thankful I don't institute a charge to sell here. And I don't refer to the small guys who sell a tsuba or 2 occasionally or one item a year. or the reputable dealers who contribute a sum every few months or annually as a thanks. I am grateful to all of you.
But those who have sold thousands of $'s and never contributed a cent......don't thank me. Thank those that are covering the costs here for YOU so that you can benefit.
Just needed saying.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Brian and the NMB

I’m 100% with you on this post Brian. It made me feel good to join the Gold club as for me it was so little for so much. For every tsuba sold I contribute 5% of the purchase price to the NMB but as my tsuba do not sell for 1.000’s I put it to one side until it reaches at least $50 before I donate and to be fair, I don’t donate for tsuba sold away from the NMB. My massive tsuba sale has been going for three years with over 9,000 views (that is breath taking) so where else is this possible?

A few months I donated to the NMB for a translation as it was quite long and difficult and the person would not accept any payment. In the early days Marcus has translated for me but I insisted he has a payment but due to work commitments he no longer has the time to do this so my only hope is the NMB.

I did speak to one collector who thought the NMB was a money maker so maybe this is a reason they have for not contributing! I think we all (except the deluded) know that is rubbish.

Personally:

Almost every morning I check the NMB and quite often find out something new. I have received the odd freebee for a small item. Found a tsuba maker who is currently at the end phase of making me one. ‘Talk’ to experts all over the world. With a lot of help from the NMB I was confident to stage a tsuba exhibition at out local museum in a month or so and soooo much more.

Contributions can only be voluntary but just take a step back and think what it has done for you then try to put a value of it’s worth

Grev

Hi Justin

Just saw your reply whilst doing mine. Brian will probably give you an answer but for me it is donating as it's the right thing to do for what the recipient gets back from the NMB

Edited by kissakai
Justin reply
  • Like 4

Justin,
It's not so much about covering costs. The new server and hosts increased costs greatly but we are in no danger and I think we will cover costs long into the future, especially if the gold members renew or we get the occasional donations. I don't want anyone to think this is an appeal for funds. I paid the costs for 6 months in advance to give some breathing room. We are not in danger and people needn't "make a plan" to donate if things are tough or even if they don't want to.
Yes..it bugs the hell out of me that some think this place is a money maker. Seriously? Some months we don't get $150 in total. Other months we get a few hundred.
I'm rolling in cash. :-?
That's why it has been 10 years since I had a holiday. :freak:
Seriously, if anyone think that, you are delusional. And selfish.
What does bug me is the people who contribute ZERO in the other forum sections, don't give a single word of advice to anyone, yet list stuff for sale, sell it here, and then just assume that they are performing a service to someone. I am on 3 different other forums (knives and other stuff) where I PAY for the right to ask questions or post stuff for sale. That is COMMON on forums nowadays.
If I had any business sense, I would charge a small amount to use the translation section (and would then maybe be able to give gifts to the guys that help so much like I have wanted to do for years) and I'd charge to list stuff, charge a percentage of sales and do paid advertising all over the forum. THEN this place would make some money.
But yeah..not going to do that. About twice a month I use my PP account when I order UberEats takeout..since it is the only thing in SA I can pay with Paypal. So yeah, maybe I profit from a Chinese takeout once or twice a month. I don't feel bad about that.
Funny thing is there are probably a bunch of people thinking this is aimed at them, who aren't even on my radar.
TONS of deals going on in private here, LOTS of stuff moving. It's a convenient market. Some of you don't know how good you have it.

• Like 6

Brian, I have never sold anything on the board, since my budget is limited most of what I buy keep for my meager collection. I found this board in the beginning of my interest in Nihonto and check in at least 2x a day. I learn something here every day and have purchased, at least in my mind, some treasures, that I am very proud of. I have met some great people here that have treated me like a old friend even though we never met. All the people that I have dealt with here have been top notch. THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN. All this said I would like to send you a donation, some Thank You cash to help out. What is the Gold membership all about? Maybe this is a good place to start. Please let me know how to go about a donation. Have a Happy Holiday and stay safe

MikeR

• Like 3

Hi Michael,
Please don't feel obligated by my Friday "I have unexplained back pain" rant :glee:
Your thanks are more than enough and I appreciate them.
For those that haven't discovered it yet, at the top of the forum is a link called STORE. Click that, and you have the option of subscriptions and donations. Donations give you 2 options...Paypal and credit card through Payfast. Subscriptions explains the 2 membership options that hopefully provide some benefits..and more to come soon.
Thanks again for the support!

Brian

Well, my intention wasn't to guilt anyone or ask for donations, but I really do thank the folks who just joined the Gold tier,  or who sent a donation.
I feel a bit bad about bringing this whole thing up, but sometimes it needs to be said. Plus I have been feeling a bit stressed and sore lately. You sellers don't HAVE to donate, I don't expect it. Sometimes even a "sold to someone on the forum, thanks for the opportunity" does wonders.

Thanks Brian for the nmb. In the time before nmb I looked at Ebay in the morning. Since I've been a member of nmb, it's the first thing I follow every morning with excitement and interest, and of course a large cup of coffee. There are some here who are really great supporters, example translation. I got to know nice people all over the world. Learned a lot here. Even if it has been very difficult for me privately for 5 months, I don't want to miss my daily visit here. I think it doesn't hurt anyone to donate some $ to this great platform (no, I don't get%)

• Like 1

Hi Brian 

I feel your frustration you do such a great job keeping the forum afloat, I think if all sellers pitched in 3% to 5% would help you keep this tremendous site alive for a long time to come.

Ebey charges 10% and there are people here selling on evil bay willing to make them rich so maybe you should start charging a fee for selling.  

I can promise if I sell anything on this site I will be donating. I really can't believe people dont just take that into consideration this site is amazing and especially to a younger Nihonto collector who is new to all of this just want to say thank you for all the great advice I've gotten from you guys A+.

I was surprised about someone not knowing about the gold membership

Would it be worth having a gold membership logo at the top of each section with jus a couple of lines of information 

I can understand that after the initial rush it will merge into the background

I've just finished a book on building the Tornado steam engine.

Right from the start of the project they rewarded the monthly donators more that the big gifters as the 'little' people were brad and butter guys

Didn’t know about the membership here. I liked the old raffles where you could donate tsuba or jssus memberships.

I really would prefer to sell through NMB and donate the 10% eBay would take but tbh of the hundreds of swords I’ve gone through since being a member here, I can’t think of a single sword I’ve bought or sold through NMB. Wish it were a different story. Met lots of great people though!

• Like 1

Michael (and the others that have sent donations or signed up for Gold membership the past few days) I am extremely thankful for your support and kindness. I'm not able to sent everyone a personal thanks, but please know it means a lot to me and to our continued success and future. Domo Arigato everyone!

:bowdown:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..