Gunto information

Edward,

Does you nakago have the star at the top, like the one in Slough's page?  How about stamped numbers at the bottom?

Wondering why you called it a "gunto", too.  The tsuka and tsuba are civil.  Is the saya the leather-covered wood?  Admittedly, Kanetsugu was an RJT smith, but there were actually some swords sold on the private, civil, market during the war too. 

• Thanks 1

Edward,

Thanks for the photos of the saya!  It was definitely mounted for the war, with the leather covered saya.  I've seen a couple of these - swords made by wartime smiths, mounted with civil fittings, but then fitted with a military saya for the war.  It would be interesting to know the story of the blade and the route it took from smith, to maybe a civilian, who then read the pleas from the Army for donations (the army would buy the swords from owners, too) for the war effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that is what makes Nihonto's a mysterious artifact is the long story behind them of how they got to where they are today. I definitely feel very honored to have something like this and I find it very important to preserve it for that reason alone, survived a gruesome war but its road ends in suburban America just doesn't sit right with me.

1 hour ago, Edward Mahle said:

survived a gruesome war but its road ends in suburban America just doesn't sit right with me.

Those of us who preserve history are the living conscience of our society.  "Suburban" may be where we're located, but it has nothing to do with the importance of what we do.

A P.S. on the "gunto" label - I just saw an expanded view of the tsuka and can see the army menugi.  So, it definitely was a civil sword re-fitted for the war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..