Tsuba from Tsunenao

kanemoto

Hello,

I bought a tsuba at an auction. The signature is from Tsunenao, Ichinomija school Kyoto.
At what time did the artist work?, are there other pieces by this master as a comparison ? with what price can the tsuba be valued?

I have found nothing in my literature or on the internet.

Thank you for the welcome to the NMB.

Uwe

Tsuba Tsunenao 1.jpg

Tsuba Tsunenao 2.jpg

• Like 1

Wrangham had a lot of Ichinomya school fittings in his 6 part Bonhams sale.  A quick look turned up Lot 15, Part I, a shakudo nanako tsuba of daikon and rat sold for £1080.  Markus Sesko (Japanese toso-kinko Schools, p107) devotes nearly half a page to him.  Kyubei Tsunenao was a student of Nagatsune (died 1787)

In a hurry, so had to be brief, best regards, John

Hi Uwe,

I was a bit rushed yesterday so here is a bit more info.  Firstly, if you want to seriously study Edo period toso-kinko artists I must recommend Markus Sesko’s book, published by Lulu books (each one is printed to order).

Bonhams have the Edward Wrangham Collection catalogues on-line under results.  He had a lot of Ichinomiya tsuba ‘signed’ Nagatsune.  The description for Lot 15 in Part I was: Ichinomiya School, early 19th century Of oval form, inlaid with three rats and a daikon in gold, silver and shakudo takazogan, signed Tsunenao with kao6.1cm (2 3/8in). Sold for £1080  The rat and two legged daikon are associated with Daikoku, one of the seven gods of good fortune.

I bought three tsuba in one lot in Part IV and one of these was inscribed as a joint wotk by Nagatsune and a student, Sadanaka.  I had not noticed before your post, but Sesko says Kyubei Tsunenao originally came from Takatsuki in Settsu province and ‘Haynes lists this kinko artist as the same person as Sadanaka’  Then cast doubt that they are the same person.  I don't know which is right.

Anyway, out of interest, I also post my tsuba and my inventory notes for this supposedly joint work (I never say any of my tsuba signatures are genuine as there are many forgeries out there and I’m no expert).

An oval shibuichi tsuba inlaid in iroe takazokan with a peasant falling back, waving his arms, as a bird flies away, having scared the peasant or stolen some of his food.  The reverse shows two shapeless lumps (potatoes?), one of which is on a vegetable grater.  The tsuba is signed Echizen no Daijo Nagatsune [horu i ko?] Sadanaka kore o horu (Sadanaka carved this) with kao. 

Nagatsune (1721-1787) was the first generation successor to the two founders of the Ichinomiya School in Kyoto (Nagayoshi of the Ichinomiya family [school?] and Takanaga of the Yasui family).  Nagatsune is recorded as the adopted son of the guilder Nagayoshi and a student of Takanaga.  His personal names seem to have been Chuhachi and Ganshoshi and he signed his work as Echizen no Daijo Nagatsune (as this example) or Echizen no Kami Nagatsune.

Sadanaka, personal name Banryuken of the Iwamoto family, was one of eight recorded students of Nagatsune.  The phrase ‘Sadanaka kore o horu’ translates as ‘Sadanaka carved this’, indicating that this was a joint master and student piece, possibly when Nagastune was getting old, not as skilful, but still retaining the reputation as master. The end part of Nagatsune’s signature (not read by Bonhams) may read horu i-ko and translate as something like ‘carved again with’ indicating that Nagatsune and Sadanaka often worked as a team.  

Provenance:Edward Wrangham Collection.  Lot 17 (with two other tsuba) from Part IV of the sale of this collection at Bonhams, Bond Street, on Wednesday 6 November 2013. 

Height: 6.8 cm, Width: 6.1 cm, Thickness: 0.3 cm, Weight: 91 g

Best regards, John

Tsuba 1.JPG

Naga-Sada 1.JPG

Naga-Sada II.JPG

• Like 1

Hello John,

thank you very much for your detailed information. The tsuba was a chance find in an auction and I liked it. I would like to continue with swords that I can afford financially and that are original as far as possible. It is hard to find pieces that have not had some addition, some I have found at auction. I am slowly looking further and am happy about my small collection. I also don't want to commit to a particular period or school. As I wrote in the Habaki , I want to deal mainly with the manufacture.

Thanks again for your extensive details.
Uwe

Tsunenao, first name „Kyūbei“ (久兵衛), was a student of Nagatsune. He originally came from Takatsuki (高槻), in Settsu province. Haynes lists this kinkō artist as the same person as Sadanaka (貞中) but the „Tōsō-kodōgu-kōza“ lists the latter as an individual craftsman without any reference to Tsunenao. In a document which is based on the records of Nagatsune we find the entry „Tsunenao, student of Nagatsune“, followed by two similar but differently sized kaō. Incidentally, it has to be mentioned that in contrast to the Edo kinkō schools like the Hamano, Nara or Yokoya, the Kyōto-based schools did not in general allow their students to use the original family name which was handed-down in the lineage of the eldest son. (extract from Markus Sesko's Toso Kinko translation)

image.thumb.png.fd2535b571d30f1a7ee3334be6995d23.png

Edited by DirkO
kudo's to Markus Sesko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..