Smaller blades thread

Bugyotsuji

Tonkotsu recently showed us a smaller blade in Shirasaya style, with a decent-looking Habaki, having elements of useful/tourist knife to it. (Of course the word katana 刀 in its broadest original meaning was a knife.)

Perhaps members would like to show some smaller knives which do not perhaps fit our normal Nihonto parameters but may have some overlapping elements.

May I start with this one. It is larger than a toothpick as you can see and once had a very specific use. Those who know will know.

(No, not the weapon used in ‘Hidden Blade’ Oni no Tsumé, though not far off!)

DF20BACD-0539-4C2E-817B-5E16A203A373.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brian, the first one above is a tiny kogatana/kodzuka that slides down inside the stem of a Yataté brush and ink combo. They are said to be paper knives.

Tiny hamon??? Hmmm... 😂

I have only managed to find three of them in my travels. The handle wrap is usually a simple fold of copper or brass.

4 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Well, in the meantime, I do not know what this is, but it was given to me recently. Lost the blade tip.

Blade length: 7.5 cm, just under 3” or 2.5 Sun.

Total length: 16.5 cm, 6.5 inches, or 5.5 寸

7601B1D3-7D03-4887-9084-8D41C58F5013.jpeg

DB02C3FC-A88F-4206-AE42-EB94DA723911.jpeg

I have seen these on Japanese sites on  Ebay described as arrowheads! I suspect they are actually marking knives or similar.

Nice though, I might buy one at the right price.

• Like 1

A word of explanation. Some years ago, Ken and Linda kindly brought over a chunk of meteorite and gave it to the Osafune smith Ando Hiroyasu (Yusuke) who incorporated it into various objects experimentally. I remember a tsuba and these Kozuka, but there could have been other things too. Ken?

True story time.

About three years ago I bought a sweet little iron Bashin from a dealer, in the shape of a bamboo stalk. He assured me that it was the work of Yanagimura Senju, the famous Kinko and Horimono-Shi (who passed away not too long ago). Sadly it was not signed. I was proud to be buying something created by Senju Sensei, especially as I had once owned, and stupidly sold, a Chiisa-gatana with a superb horimono by him.

Through an intermediary, I contacted his son Soju who continues the workshop and asked if he could certify it in some way. He and his mother both clearly remembered the piece, but he would not insert his father's Mei. He kindly wrote a cover letter acknowledging its provenance, but he did not want any payment. I gave him a bottle of good Scotch whisky in thanks. Then I discovered that they had put another little handy knife into the box, which actually did carry the signature of his father! 

• Like 10
  • Wow 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, Dave R said:

I have seen these on Japanese sites on  Ebay described as arrowheads! I suspect they are actually marking knives or similar.

Nice though, I might buy one at the right price.

Yesterday I was observing an artisan making Habaki and he used the spiral end of one of these for marking lines on the metal he was working with. The other end was not a blade but a kind of two-curved-pronged measuring compass 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..