Two Jingo tsuba for sale Hawk & dragon designs

Michael 101

Dear members,

i am offering two very keenly priced Jingo school tsuba for sale on ebay - see link below.

the Hawk design tsuba exhibited and published in the year book of the 1998 Dai Tokan Ichci show as late Jingo ( 5th master ) but I think its a later very copy. However as a version by the first master costs many tens of thousands then this example makes a very nice collection piece. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mc114/m.html?item=254800272644&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Thanks for looking

kindest regards

Michael 

Both interesting pieces.  ---The price on the dragon is a bit surprising. That is a gift for somebody.

I really like the backside on that one.

Shodai Eagle inlay design:  are there any non-Juyo ones? Maybe the one in the Baur Collection?

I've only ever got to study one of these, and the price on it was 90k. About 1 ft from it is as close as I will probably ever get to actually handling one.

They are definitely one of those designs better understood in person than looking at them in a book.

Thanks Guys,

there are very few 1st master Jingo Hawks in existence especially when those now attributed to the first Kanshiro are subtracted from the numbers. Hence the incredible price tickets on these when they rarely if ever come up for sale.

This one I feel is a later copy made some time in the 20th century but its an incredibly good one - good enough to fool many dealers / collectors that its late Jingo ( Edo period work ) hence the reason it was exhibited in the DTI catalogue ( scans of pages attached ) and I guarantee its the very same tsuba I am offering for sale. 

yes the dragon is priced to sell - well it is Christmas after all.

kindest regards 

michael 

2D620A35-DFD8-446D-83A4-710998402323.jpeg

CF5123DB-8D0E-4A2A-8074-DE277BA32540.jpeg

Dragon price one still a bargain.

If you say the Hawk one isn't 5th gen JIngo, I will take your word for it.

Still, looks 5th gen enough to me that I understand why it is in the DTI as such. If not his work, then dilettante or a student?

Archived