Lifes little things

I find sometimes, the smaller things that draw me to Nihonto, are quite joyous.

This is a thoughtful gift from my brother, with many thanks. Looking at Tamahgane, not only did it draw me closer to Nihonto, the forging process and knowledge/skill needed, but to family as well. For this,  I am thankful! I wish, I could capture the middle stone's deep sea blue, or midnight sky color, and imagine the possibilities... beautiful. Just thought I would share. Happy and safe Holiday season to all. 

20201207_181211.jpg

• Like 11

20 hours ago, RichardP said:

.....the notion that steels from different regions produce swords with their own color hues seems really plausible......

Richard,

that would be a nice theory, but in reality, the colours have nothing to say. They are just annealing colours, and you can produce them on any polished surface of any simple iron with a gas torch. You can even produce them on titanium, looks nice!

If you imagine how iron/steel is being produced in a TATARA, you will see that the furnace is torn apart while the KERA (bloom iron lump) is still hot. The HITACHI TATARA produces about 2,5 tons in one go, so you cannot wait until it has cooled down and cut the block in slices afterwards! The small pieces still have temperatures between 200 and 500 °C, so they show these tempering/annealing colours. Beautiful, and a good reason to call it 'jewel' cutting edge steel (TAMA HA GANE)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Richard,

that would be a nice theory, but in reality, the colours have nothing to say. They are just annealing colours, and you can produce them on any polished surface of any simple iron with a gas torch. You can even produce them on titanium, looks nice!

If you imagine how iron/steel is being produced in a TATARA, you will see that the furnace is torn apart while the KERA (bloom iron lump) is still hot. The HITACHI TATARA produces about 2,5 tons in one go, so you cannot wait until it has cooled down and cut the block in slices afterwards! The small pieces still have temperatures between 200 and 500 °C, so they show these tempering/annealing colours. Beautiful, and a good reason to call it 'jewel' cutting edge steel (TAMA HA GANE)!

In general I agree, however when comparing swords side by side minute differences can be seen... atleast I think.

Eric,

this is due to the different treatments in polishing. See under KANAHADA.

The annealing colours are minute layers of iron oxide - a few millionth of a millimeter - which build up under the influence of heat and - of course - air. The colour can (roughly) indicate the temperature the iron/steel was exposed to. This feature is used by the smith when tempering his tools and knife blades.

• Like 1

Robert,

in my experience it is a very superficial phenomenon and does not affect the quality of the steel, so you cannot really speak of 'oxygenation'. The colours are not durable, so when I leave them on the steel surface of a tool, they will fade and eventually get rubbed off by use.

Kräutersichel 327.jpg

• Like 2

Robert,

there is no natural gas involved except air. The hot iron/steel surface reacts with the oxygen and as a result produces these ultra-thin layers of iron oxide. The longer the metal is exposed (or the hotter it is), the thicker the layer. The colour change is related to a temperature/time effect.

• Like 2

I will have to agree to disagree, sword temp. and the cooling process oil vs water vs time, plus clay treatment, with sub component/elemental materials will have an effect of crystalline structures and their hues. From Jiange is the key "Jigane can show hues and its appearance, at least as far as koto blades are concerned, make it possible to draw conclusions as to where the sword was made.".  Polishing can certainly have an effect, but I have found koto blades seem to vary from a blueish to gray. Blasting a torch or high temp. to achieve the effect seen above, can easily be removed. This does not happen with something that has been polished, possibly many times. 

• 1 month later...

Despite a circuitous route from Japan to the US east coast then back to Japan and ultimately Thailand my "Christmas stocking stuffer" Tamahage finally arrived. I opted for the smaller box. Put it with on a bookshelf for some size context. Pretty neat addition to the collection! Displays really nice and one of the pieces has some interesting purple and green hues to it.

IMG_2219.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..