Mumei Carbon Steel Kai Gunto

0Takeda0

It's a small blade just under 24 inches. Appears to be monosteel, basic gunome hamon (likely oil heat treated), can't find a stamp except a small black dot at the bottom of the nakago, which might not mean anything.2010486970_IMG_20201207_1315092.thumb.jpg.57cb091b40b3fdfbd6ef1e4d414e9059.jpg Can't find any numbers on the fittings either, if that matters. Has two hangers and a stingray skin saya. There is some kind of writing on the nakago. I want to learn more about it. I'm looking to hear what others have to say.

IMG_20201207_131503~2.jpg

IMG_20201207_131428~2.jpg

Going by the photo's (legal disclaimer) I would say that this is a post war assembly like the extensively discussed swords  formerly known as "mystery swords"!

A genuine wartime blade and possibly the saya, completed with a mix of parts from the post war era.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave R said:

Going by the photo's (legal disclaimer) I would say that this is a post war assembly like the extensively discussed swords  formerly known as "mystery swords"!

A genuine wartime blade and possibly the saya, completed with a mix of parts from the post war era.

Very possible, but everything seems to fit right, and most of the hardware looks antique in person. The tsuba seems to have lost almost all of it's original finish.

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Very late war - black painted tsuka, and one-piece Fuchi-seppa.  I’ve seen these before.

This is exactly what I thought. Seems like a few corners were cut. I thought it should have at least an extra spacer or two, but the handle fits perfectly, and none of the parts are loose. The parts don't look modern, at least not to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..