PEARL HARBOR

IJASWORDS

As the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor approaches, thought I would share some pages from a WW2 Japanese publication, detailing their attack. 

The book contains the strategy, officers, transparent overlays of recon photos, maps etc. 

I have offered this to the Pearl Harbor Museum, but no reply. Hope you Japanese military buffs enjoy. More photo's can be posted if there is interest.  

a16.jpg

a15.jpg

a14.jpg

a13.jpg

• Like 12

Bruce, your wish is my command. As a "fly boy" yourself, I put a couple in of fighters and bombers on flight deck. Also note the aerial recon shot of "Battleship Row', and the overlay describing the ships. I don't read Japanese, so I don't know if they were taken the morning of the attack, or by recon spy flights some time earlier. 

This Japanese war time publication is the only one I have seen, and I still think it belongs in Pearl Harbor museum. 

a20.jpg

a22.jpg

a23.jpg

a24.jpg

a27.jpg

• Like 3

Bruce, their lack of interest also surprised me. As you know, I was at Pearl Harbor last year, and even offered to donate it personally. Sent email and letter. 

OK, it is obviously a Japanese war time piece of propaganda, but it may contain something interesting, and besides the great photos, there are facts and figures in the many pages of printed material. See attached for example.  

a1.jpg

• Like 3

I have had similar problems finding a home for artefacts back in Europe. Many people are just not interested, and some are actively repelled, especially the generation who remember those times. Personally I see them as valid historical documents, even if they are propaganda, and they surely contain many unique insights. Hoping you find an appreciative and understanding home for them, Neil, somewhere more objective.

• Like 1

Be happy that the museum has not responded/not interested.  Many museums are poor conservators of historical items and many times they get damaged, degraded, "lost", traded off or sold outright.  I was at the Pearl Harbor museum in 2002 and unless they have expanded, it was not very large so adding exhibits may not be possible unless they rotate something out.  One of the most impressive items was part of a Japanese air dropped torpedo and a uniform and photo scrap book of the Arizona of a sailor that was entombed in the ship in the bombing.  The torpedo was stuck in the mud just off Battleship Row and there is a whirlpool that can be seen on the well known photo of the battleships during the attack.  Apparently the torpedo nose dived in the water, due to the plane carrying it getting hit by A/A fire, and it stuck in the mud with the propellers spinning full bore, creating a white looking whirlpool on the surface visible in the photos.  From what I can remember of the exhibits, most everything was from sailors, ships and planes that were in the harbor at the time of the attack.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

a sword made right after the Pearl Harbour attack,

Anyone that has a Mantetsu with serial number beginning with TSU ツ is likely to have one.  Hard to precisely pinpoint these, but the serial numbers beginning with SO ソ, TSU ツ, and NE ネ should be right around the time.

G'day Tom,

What is the nakago translation of your sword? Thanks to other NMB members this is mine:

大東亜戦二週年紀念昭和十七年十二月

Daitōasen Nishūnen kinen, Shōwa 17 nen 12 gatsu 8

Commemoration of the 2nd year of the Pacific War, 1942 December 8

為野倉實氏鍛

Nokura Minoru-shi no tame ni kore wo kitau

Made for Minoru Nokura

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 2

Hi Bryce,

This is the mei

This blade is forged by Masa Michi who lived in the province of Bingo and it is for Mr Munehira Hiroshi respectfully

------------------------

A lucky day of February of the 17th year of showa a gift from your parents forever be with you

Kind regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:35 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

Does anyone have a sword made right after the Pearl Harbour attack, or directly around that time?

I do not own one but I have seen one dated 1941-12-08, the Japaneses date for the attack on Pearl Harbor, in Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning of the Gendaito Era by Kapp & Monson.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..