New Member Introductions

Hello, I've been lurking around here for a few months since I came into possession of the sword my grandfather brought back after WWII, trying to learn about it. I'm an amateur, self taught blade smith, so I've been interested in such things for a long time, but my background is much more european centric. I'm not likely to get into collecting Japanese blades, but I'd like to keep the one I have in as good of shape as I can, with the idea to over time replace the ratty bits and get it into as good a shape as I can. Reading through this forum has been extremely helpful and fascinating, so thanks to you all for doing your part in keeping this knowledge alive and sharing it.

Gabriel

hello everyone. new to the world of Japanese sword. i have always been a fan of Japanese and chinese weaponry. l started with nunchaku in dec of 99. have learned several other weapons since. have recently been more and more intrigued by the sword. i have picked up a few in recent months. i think im already addicted haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!
My name is Ben. I am from Florida, and I have a strong passion for everything Japanese and swordmanship in particular. I practiced Kendo in Europe and in the U.S. for a couple of years. I travelled to Japan to learn more about Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. In today's days, it is hard to find a teacher due to the pandemic (it was already difficult before) but I am have been able to practice remotely thanks to the Internet. I collect swords and historical artefacts, I own a few pieces from the Napolonian wars and a few modern katanas that are good cutters (made in China - sorry, not sorry). I have been looking into WWI nihonto for quite some time now with the goal to acquire my first piece. I am still learning and this message board has been extremely helpful. I am really impressed by the throve of knowledge available here, this is a really nice community and I am looking forward to contribute with my modest and deeply humble experience.  

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Sydney, Australia

About 4 years ago I bought 3 swords from a friend who was moving back to Canada, I put them into my brother's garage, and quickly forgot them.

Now, my brother is selling his house and I have "rediscovered" my treasures.

I found this forum and it seems that i have so much reading and learning to do.

Hopefully, one day I can contribute.

I'm going to post pics of the "cleanest" sword soon.

• Thanks 2

Welcome, Tony. Yes, there is a lot to learn, so please feel free to ask questions. Buying a few good books from Amazon is a great way to get started, as well as joining a local sword club.

When you post sword photos, please just show the bare blades, as that is how we identify age, school, & smith. We look forward to learning more about you & your blades.

• 2 weeks later...

hi 

i just joined, i got a old katana and have been looking everywhere for info and finally came across this site which is helps a lot, ive been collecting for a few years but that was mostly war helmets, i recently got a katana and have been interested to learn about it but unlike the helmets i have not find it easy to get as much info so looking forward to using this site.

7 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

Welcome Brian! Start a new thread in the nihonto section and ask for thoughts on the blade. You will get a lot of information if it is an interesting blade and not so much, if there is little of interest in the blade.

ok thank you i will 

The study of Nihonto is very deep, & if you're seriopus about it, you have a lot of reading to do. The Yumoto book is a primer, that will get you familiar with the terminology, while the Connoisseurs book is sort of the bible.

Once you've read Yumoto, try to find a sword club you can attend. Books are great, but hands-on is where you'll really apply what you've read. And, if you're into martial arts, you can train in iaido, which is how the  katana is used. Lots of fun! My wife & I have been swinging swords for decades, which means she's on my side, when I want to buy another blade. :bowdown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

The study of Nihonto is very deep, & if you're seriopus about it, you have a lot of reading to do. The Yumoto book is a primer, that will get you familiar with the terminology, while the Connoisseurs book is sort of the bible.

Once you've read Yumoto, try to find a sword club you can attend. Books are great, but hands-on is where you'll really apply what you've read. And, if you're into martial arts, you can train in iaido, which is how the  katana is used. Lots of fun! My wife & I have been swinging swords for decades, which means she's on my side, when I want to buy another blade. :bowdown:

haha must be great to have the wife on your side,

thanks i will definitely give them a read,  would love to join a club but sadly there isn't any clubs near me which is a shame.

Hi  Everyone

I've been a member on here before but I had difficulty logging in with my old account so I've started afresh. My Name is Gethin and I'm from south wales in the UK. a number of the members from the UK should know me as I've been collecting mainly Tsuba for the last 20 years but also have a number of blades.

Look forward to continuing to learn from the more experienced members.

Thanks again

Gethin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings folks!  

I lurked here a little and heard of this forum for a while.  I used to be on the Nihonto section of the now nearly dead International Sword Forum.  Since that died, I've been looking for where everyone moved.  It seems to be here where the knowledgeable people are.  Great.  I bought a few books, did some research, seen true nihonto in an exhibition or two.  Since then, I now have a WWII army gunto katana (given to me) and a wakizashi (Muromachi) and a tanto (1800s) that I traded restoration work for. I have always been interested in nihonto but was afraid to purchase until I had some research and understanding under my belt.  My main interest is Philippines weaponry.  However I also have love of mokume hada (which I find more among koto blades).  So yes I am a newbie, but learned enough so far to know what I want and love most.  And BTW - I made my first nihonto seppas for my wakizashi.  

Domo arigato and maraming salamat!

Jose C. (aka Battara)