New Member Introductions

Aha! The science fiction writer! Weclome, Michael! I can already see one book of yours that I don't have.

Thank you very much.

By chance have you read this one? It seems topical. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Forged-Blood-Freehold-Michael-Williamson/dp/148148270X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=wwwmichaelzwi-20&linkId=4fe402d3af9ad662a5526bcf2c49607e&language=en_US

No, not yet. I do have the first two Freehold novels, plus Better to Give Forgiveness, & The Humans Call it Duty, along with a bunch that you co-authored. I see on ISFDB.ORG that you have quite a few novels that I haven't bought, so I guess I need to put Amazon Prime to work.

We can discuss in the Izakaya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Jason here. I’m 46 years old, and have had an interest in Nihonto since my teens. I’ve lurked on these furums for a few years now. In 2015 I acquired my first Nihonto, a medium grade Gendaito from a Japanese sword shop, Samurai shokai. I recently joined the board over interest in a Wakizashi offered for sale, soon to be added as my second Nihonto. I look forward to using the resources on the NMB to expand my knowledge and appreciation of Japanese swords.

Jason

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Dear NMB all,

I would like you to know that I greatly appreciate this site and I have learned a lot.  Thank you very much to the admins who run the site and the knowledgeable users from whom I've learned so much just by reading your posts and musings, not to mention the articles.  You all have been an incredibly valuable resource to someone who is starting out collecting, especially those I've talked to privately. 

So, I apologize for lurking here for so long.  I tend to keep to myself and I really didn't know if I'd stay interested.  Needless to say, the more I've learned about nihonto and tosogu the more engrossed I've become, especially in the fittings world.  

Then, I attended my first show in Chicago, you know, to actually see in person what I'd been looking at online and I was blown away by the beauty of this Japanese art form and the enthusiasm/kindness of those I met there.  Even my girlfriend had a nice time, and she didn't think she would.

So thank you, NMB, for giving me the tools to start my modest collection and teaching me about this Nihonto and Tosogu way of life.  I hope for many years to come.

Skhye

• Like 4

Skhye,
Perfect way to get into a hobbby such as this! Read a lot, lurk, take in as much as you can, then attend a show. Sounds like you are going to do just fine in this field. Welcome, and thanks for the kind words. We look forward to the Nihonto travel along with you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my name is Björn and I'm from Iceland. I got a bit ahead of myself before posting in this thread since I´m new here.

I've been fascinated by swords ever since I was young and have been collecting swords for the past decade, I used to do some fencing 

in my younger years and have recently taken up HEMA. Japanese swords have always fascinated me and just this year I finally bought my first

katana so I'm very excited. Iceland is unfortunately not a good place for sword collectors since swords are illegal and you have to get a permit from

the police commissioner. It took me a month just to get the permit for the one I purchased so I'm still waiting on it to ship, hopefully I will be able to

take some nice pictures to share with you when it arrives. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the NMB Björn!

I hope everything goes well with your permit and the sword! What kind of KATANA have you got? We are always interested to see pictures, and we help newbies with advice before they buy!  

Be sure to sign all posts with your first name plus an initial so we can address you properly. You can add your signature to your profile.

Welcome to the NMB Björn!

I hope everything goes well with your permit and the sword! What kind of KATANA have you got? We are always interested to see pictures, and we help newbies with advice before they buy!  

Be sure to sign all posts with your first name plus an initial so we can address you properly. You can add your signature to your profile.

Thank you for the warm welcome Jean. The one that I just purchased is attributed to Keishinsai Naomasa, you can see pictures of it on Andy Quirt's website here: http://www.nihonto.us/SHINSHINTO%20KATANA.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, another newbie here. Ive been stalking around for a few weeks and found out just how much I dont know about Nihonto. Having said that, I really am amazed to learn that decent blades can be had for much cheaper than I originally assumed. My goal is to learn all I can now, and within a year purchase my first Nihonto. Preferably with guidance from the board members, and from a member here as well to avoid a beginner's mistake. I have much to learn first, but looking foward to the journey.

Having said all that, what would be a good first book to purchase that would give me a good solid start towards learning more about Nihonto? Something akin to a "Dummies guide to Nihonto" may be suitable lol. Tha ks to any recommendations in advance.

Michael H

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

I suggest either The Samurai Sword by Yumoto or The Japanese Sword by Sato as a good 1st book, and once you own one of them you don't need the other.  If possible, get yourself to a sword show (San Francisco early August is next up), look at everything, and ask lots of questions.  For a 2nd book, get The Art of the Japanese Sword by Kapp & Yoshihara, rather than The Craft of the Japanese Sword by the same authors.  It is larger, more thorough, and much better illustrated than Craft.

Grey

• Like 1