New Member Introductions

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum, Winnie. Yes, there's a lot of knowledge crammed in our members' brains, but you'll need to do some studying to understand what we can tell you. If you do a quick search here, you'll find lots of ideas on which books can get you started. For well under $100, Amazon can get you down the road to being knowledgeable, yourself.

In your humid climate, I hope you're keeping your ancestors' blades well-oiled. I look forward to seeing your collection.

If you go to the main part of the board, Winnie, you'll see several sections where you can start a new topic to post your photos, depending on what you want to ask. If it's a discussion about a blade, that generally goes under http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/forum/3-nihonto/.

I suggest that you also do a search on how to post appropriate photos, so you can get opinions that are useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm Josh from Australia.

I recently inherited a blade from my father and have joined here to try and collect as much information as possible on the history of the blade and its maker (who may be Amada Sadayoshi!).

You have all been wonderfully helpful and I look forward to learning everything I can about this sword. So far it's looking very exciting, but even if it turns out to be something other than what I hope, I have still enjoyed the journey.

Cheers,

Josh.

• Like 1

Hello-

I started reading about and studying nihonto recently and actually got a katana a few days ago. I have a lot to learn and this seems like a good place, got some information here already. I'll make another post with pictures and questions about my blade.

I've been interested in Asian culture since I began serving in the Air Force long ago. I've been stationed in Okinawa, Korea, and the Philippines and have been back to Asia many times on vacation. I don't travel there as much these days, but thought learning about nihonto would be a way to stay connected and learn more about Japanese history and culture.

Thanks in advance for helping me progress in my knowledge.  Scott

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm from germany - my family had an old sword in possession as long as I can remember. My father got it in the 1960s as a present. I remember playing "samurai" in the woods with it...I got it as a present last week and now I'd like to know as much about it as possible :-)

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...