New Member Introductions

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking around for about a year now and I figured it is about time I introduced myself a little more. 

I am 25 years old and as the username implies, I am an archaeologist in Ontario. My imagination isn't that great. My interest is mostly in Gunto, however, I find myself more and more attracted to ancestral blades in gunto mounts. I have always found myself attracted to Imperial Japan and I have started my collection of gunto this year. I find the history of the smiths and even sometimes the previous owners of the swords a lot more accessible and interesting than the artifacts and lands that I am used to working with.

Over the past year or so I have received the advice and help from many members here and would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. it makes what I think of as the "learning curve" a lot less daunting and more enjoyable.

Thanks! 

Matt 

• Like 1

Hello all. I thought I'd introduce myself since I'm new here. My name is Jordan, I'm 20 yrs old and I hail from Oklahoma. I'm currently working towards a welding certification, and an apprenticeship under a local blacksmith/swordsmith. I'll also be enrolling in an iaido dojo soon.

I'm completely new to collecting, even though I've been fascinated by Nihonto and Japanese culture in general since I was much younger. I'm currently just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible; I'm in no hurry to buy my first blade, I want to know so much more about Nihonto before I do that. I also want to avoid making as many starry-eyed mistakes as possible while still remaining passionate.

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Thank you.

-Jordan

Welcome to the forum, Jordan. I really like your nickname.

Therre's a lot of great information on Nihonto on this site, & I suggest you do a quick search for a couple of good books to buy, so you can understand the terms we use. Who is the swordsmith you're apprenticing under? Does he/she make Japanese blades?

Happy holidays!

Ken

Welcome to the forum, Jordan. I really like your nickname.

Therre's a lot of great information on Nihonto on this site, & I suggest you do a quick search for a couple of good books to buy, so you can understand the terms we use. Who is the swordsmith you're apprenticing under? Does he/she make Japanese blades?

Happy holidays!

Ken

Thank you! I will definitely do that; I currently have a few books on the way, and will be looking into more. I've also printed off some of the PDF articles found around the board to read over.

The smith I will hopefully be apprenticing under is a member of the Saltfork Craftsmen, which is an Oklahoma-based blacksmith association that I'm also a member of (they're affiliated with ABANA). There are several blacksmiths who also make blades and teach in the community, but sadly none of them make Japanese blades that I'm aware of. Still, it's a good place to start, and I'm looking forward to learning the basics so I can expand on it when I get the opportunity to. Although I would love to learn to smith knives and other kinds of swords initially, it's my hope to be able to make Japanese blades someday.

Happy holidays to you as well!

Welcome to the journey Jordan. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello all,

The short version:

Robin, the Hague The Netherlands, 57 years old and I like Japanese history, culture and food since...forever.

The somewhat longer version:

At the start of the summer I decided it was time to start moving again. Overweight, not fit, not happy.

Daily long walks, healthy food and without giving it much thought I joined an iaido dojo.

Iaido and the purchase of an iaito triggered me to search for more information about swords and fittings.

A month ago in Paris I stumbled upon an antique shop...

post-4355-0-09695700-1514366832_thumb.jpg

My wife bought me a tsuba....and that's how things start. More tsuba's, more books and now I'm here with a nihonto wish.

Not in a hurry to buy...a lot more knowledge first.

Oh...and I lost 15 kilo in six months, I feel fit and I'm still a terrible, but passionate iaido puppy. :laughing:

Robin

• Like 7

Sounds very familiar, Robin! Welcome to the forum, & you can thank your wife for getting you started on the most-expensive hobby you'll ever have!

I'm not sure how many members are sword-swingers, but my wife & I have been training in two ryuha for nearly three decades, & I'm 14 years older. When you learn how to relax & to perform waza slowly, your performance will jump up a huge notch.

Yes, please do spend lots of time buying & studying books before looking for your first Nihonto, as you'll get a lot more for your Euro. Many good book lists can be found with a quick search, & there are also excellent articles posted on the site.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone! My name is Nick. 

I am very new to this and am looking to learn as much as I can within the next 60-70 years of my life. 

I have yet to purchase a nihonto despite my long interest in them, but I hope to soon.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

New guy here.  I've been interested in Japanese antiques for a long time.  Had a small collection of swords back in the 80's, then sold them and started collecting sake cups and bottles (much cheaper!).  Sure wish I had kept those swords now.  Looking forward to reading the posts and learning about Nihonto!

Have a good-un,

Dave 

Welcome to the forum, Dave. Do you have any specific Nihonto-related interests?

Hi Ken,

Hope everything is going your way in Hawaii.  I was stationed at Helemano from '73 to '76.  I'd like to get back there and see how it looks today, although there is probably very little that I would recognize.

My main interest is the process of making the blade; smelting, forging, shaping, tempering, polishing...all of it is fascinates me.

Take care over there,

Dave D. 

Helemano isn't all that different than when we arrived 26 years ago, Dave. The pineapple & sugar cane are gone - can't compete with Asia - but not a lot going on up there.

Lots of good info on NMB on the tosho (smithing) & other processes. I assume you're aware that once the blade is made, all the other processes are done by separate experts. Here is a good site to walk you through the tosho portion: https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/tatara/nnp0109.htm.

Please do invest about $100 at Amazon to get your library started - there are lots of recommendations for specific tities that you can find with a simple search, but the "bible" is Nagayama's The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords, https://smile.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-Book-Japanese-Swords/dp/1568365810/It's the best $51 you can spend if you're interested in Nihonto.

• 1 month later...