New Member Introductions

Hi,

I just moved back to the states from living in Japan for three years.  I have always had a penchant for Japanese antiques, although I've only recently gotten into nihonto.  My grandfather and father collected Japanese antiques, and I grew up surrounded by their collections, but they don't have much miltary memorabilia.  I recently discovered some beautiful tsuba, and I'm looking to increase my collect.  Full disclosure, I do have a small Japanese antique business, so I plan to sell some of the tsuba I post about.  I'm mostly looking to learn more about this niche fusion of Japanese art and history.  I've done a bit of research online, and these forums are definitely the most encyclopedic I've ever encountered!  Glad to join and hopefully I've be able to share some knowledge eventually, after gleaning much from these boards.

• Like 1

Hello ElleRose, welcome to Nmb. Please sign all posts as it is the rules here. This place is my favorite leaning tool but reading books are a must when it comes to learning about Nihonto also. Look forward to seeing some of the tsuba you have. All the best.

Greg

Edit. Barry beat me to it, im such a slow typer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I am relatively new to collecting and a enjoying Japanese swords and fittings and learning fast that there is a massive amount of enjoyment to follow. I will apologize now for any mistakes I will make but we all had to start at the bottom. .thank you so much for the help so far .With thanks from the bottom of the world. .Lenny

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

i just subscribed to NMB, and since i didn't find a dedicated section i post here my presentation (hope it's not the wrong one!).

My name is Emiliano Lorenzi, and i'm form Florence, Italy, where i have a Japanese antiques shop. I started to approach the world of the Japanese sword many years ago, and from 10 year or so it became my profession. As a student i apreciate all the technical aspects of the nihonto, and as a dealer is my duty to know and comprehend them. As an enthusiast though i think the history behind every blade must be the other half of the equation. During my trips to Japan, especially Kanazawa, i got closer to urushi lacquer and started to study techniques and fields of application through history. This later led me to a better understanding of koshirae lacquering and the differences among styles and fashions of the various periods. Koshirae related lacquer is another great passion of mine. Generally speaking i prefere older items, since they are more "authentic" and have a heavier load of history.

So, thank you for having me onboard and i hope we will spend some good time together (sorry for being too long with this presentation...).

See you soon,

Emiliano Lorenzi

• Like 7

Welcome Emiliano.

There is a thread for new member introductions in the General section but I'm sure no one will mind.

I was in Firenze a couple of weeks ago, wish I had known you were there though the others in my party

might not have been so keen.

Good to have you on board, I hope you will enjoy the discussions.

All the best.

Thnk you for your warm welcome!

I tried to search for the correct section but couldn't find it (never been good at searching!!!).

Too bad Geraint we didn't meet, i'm always happy to share some time with nihonto connoisseurs.

Thank you Brian for moving my post to the correct section.

I hope i can get to know you all better and be a useful member of the community.

Thanks again,

Emiliano

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

Been searching and looking on the board for quite a while now and feel it is time to introduce myself.

My name is harry Barendregt living in a small country called Holland,been loving Japanese swords from when i was a child(36 now) 

Saving money  to buy my first nihonto and will be asking you guys advice on some pieces i have my eye on.

Thank you for this great community and i,ll hope you can help me with my untrained eye.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

Books i have been collecting for the past 12 years.

Been looking in the faq.Thanks Barry and have every beginners book except the"nihon-to art swords"

And also have 2 books in the intermidiate section.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from Snowy Canada !!

A little about me;

I`m a retired Military member, I served 24+ years in the Canadian Army, 15+ years in the Infantry & 9 years as an Ammunition Technician, i retired from the military 3 years ago but continue to work for the military today as a civilian employee.

My other collecting hobby is WWI medals, Memorial cross, postcards,cap badges etc to my former Regiment PPCLI ( Princess Patricia`s Canadian Light Infantry ).

I like many others here ( I guess everyone ) have a Fascination with the Japanese Mastery & Artistry of weapons & their fittings. I`m about to make my first purchase ( a Tsuba ) from Japan but before i can purchase it I am selling a few item from my medal collection and hopefully i can do that soon..though i suppose its not the best time of year for that.

One question I have for Canadian collectors.  What are the import Taxes ?? is it just the GST @ 13% ??  The Tsuba value is approx  95,000 yen or $1100 Cdn.

CHEERS

David

• Like 1

I should probably post on here as ive already started a couple of threads and benefitted greatly from the member's knowledge without introducing myself...

I'm Chris, and I live just west of London. I'm an absolute beginner in this subject, and so far my collection consists of:

- a Sukesada (http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21188-help-with-signature-translation-ww2-sword/)

post-1510-0-13638400-1482504325_thumb.jpg

- a tsuba that arrived last night: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21316-a-tsuba-that-a-friend-gave-me-rough-age/

- A WW2 Munetoshi which I bought at auction a week ago and should be receiving in about 5 days:

post-1510-0-75355200-1482504220_thumb.jpgpost-1510-0-11814400-1482504227_thumb.jpg

While I love traditional Nihonto, I also have an interest in WW2-era swords, sparked by researching my Grandfathers service with the British Army in Burma in WW2, from where he brought back this flag (which now take pride of place on my wall):

post-1510-0-99449700-1482504492_thumb.jpg

So, that's me - would love to hear from any folks in my part of the world!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and totally beginner with nihonto. My knowledge is very poor but i want to go deep in that ocean. I see that there are many information in this forum and I am glad that i found you guys. In my country there are no many collectors and information about that art, or at least I have not found.

Best regards,
Blagoy Kirilov
(Sofia, Bulgaria). 

Hello All

I received a Katana from my grandfather back in 2014 when he passed away I have sent some images of it to an appraiser out of Japan that said if its real it seems to be from the early edo period, its unsigned as far as i can tell the rust on the tang is very thick and black there are no markings on the blade that seem to indicate a signature or anything of that nature so I am trying to get some help identifying and possibly authenticating it in the future. The saya has some paper tags of some sort on it that I had asked someone to translate for me and they said the kanji was pre ww2 and they couldn't help it is also somewhat faded.I am very interested in trying to get as much info on this sword as I can.

I am very new to this forum I apologize if my forum etiquette isn't the best.

Thanks

Tobinpost-3927-0-69912000-1483043157_thumb.jpgpost-3927-0-46610000-1483043165_thumb.jpgpost-3927-0-96724500-1483043172_thumb.jpgpost-3927-0-41518800-1483043182_thumb.jpgpost-3927-0-24096600-1483043189_thumb.jpg