Tiger, tiger shining - dull!

Spartancrest

This post relates to - 

I have noticed an increase in these Tiger tanto guards recently, the latest I have seen has been a real disapointment. https://www.jauce.com/auction/e482832265 

While most are no doubt cast and then reworked this example is not reworked and for what it is, is exhorbitantly priced. The first image shows the casting besides an example found in the Toledo Museum of Art [ old B&W photo from 1912 ] The second is a reworked piece from Worthpoint, and the last is a modern hobby piece. I have seen one in iron recently also poorly cast. 

1912.821 with casting.jpg

1912.821 worthpoint.jpg1912.821 hobbywork.jpg

They seem to follow the same manufacturing as the 'Rain Dragon' design.

image.thumb.png.7ba2726acb59fa3f4876560a208ec168.png

• 3 weeks later...

A black Tiger has reappeared -  https://www.jauce.com/auction/e469036800

He looks at first glance to be made of iron, however he is brass covered in some sort of black paint. The ura side shows spots where the paint has worn through and there are plenty of bubbles left over from the casting technique.  Luckily there seems to be little interest from the bidding public.

black tiger.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well the black tiger was cheap [and nasty] but what the hell I bought it for 1,000 yen just to see what was under that paint. What I found is a construction technique I haven't seen before. While the core of the 'item' is Lead or alloy composed mainly of lead, the outer layer is a gold coloured thin foil. This foil is harder and of a higher melting point than the base metal so I am wondering how this would be applied without melting the base material? Does electroplating work on lead? I had the thing for five minutes before removing the ridiculous black paint.

Please no sympathy notes - it was just curiosity, not ignorance of it's true nature.:freak:

tiger 2021 foil on lead mine.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..