Small Knife with Hamon Silver Habaki

Tonkotsu

I wasn't sure where to post this knife but since it has a hamon that is not acid etched and a silver habaki I thought it might be of interest. This knife is very nice quality. The total length of the blade is 166 mm, the distance from the munemachi to the tip of the blade is 122 mm.

Dick B

C.jpg

D.jpg

B.jpg

I see these as wartime or post war soldiers-type daggers, used for general purpose. But also sold after the war as souvenirs and shrine-sold trinkets.
Whatever the truth, it is likely Japanese and maybe oil quenched.
What they are NOT....is kamikaze daggers no matter what eBay likes to say.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the information. It is a nice quality little knife not the junk usually meant for souvenirs and definitely not a kamikaze dagger. This knife is very sharp and could do some damage as a weapon. Thanks again to everyone.

Dick B

1 hour ago, Tonkotsu said:

......This knife is very sharp and could do some damage as a weapon......

Dick B

Just like any good kitchen knife.

Not saying it is bad, but it is probably not what we expect from a SAMURAI era TANTO. The weak NAKAGO is typical for this kind of knife.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..