A Wakizashi made by Convicts?

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts.

I am happy to announce a new addition to my collection, and I would ask for your help in identifying this beautiful blade. The blade feels heavy in the hand, and could use a new polish. I have done some research, and to me it appears to be a WW2 blade, with older fittings. The blade itself is reminiscent of later works by Chounsai Emura, a famous prison warden turned bladesmith during WW2. The hamon style is choji-midare with mixed in gunome-midare, which fits his style. Haagari nakago also fits the style. Emura tended to sign his blades, and this one does not have a signature, so I do believe this to be the work of one of his convicts, but perhaps an expert here could tell a different story. The hamon is The kissaki is ko-kissaki, and sharpened in the traditional way. The blade feels heavy in the hand, and will most definitely survive a new polish, I am now trying to figure out if it is worth polishing or not. 

The blade dimensions are:

Nagasa: 22.25 Inches

Curvature: 0.5 Inches

The fittings that came with the blade are mixed, sa-me has fake ray-skin with older looking bronze menuki, with matching futchi, with an older looking Goto school tsuba with shi shi and peonies inlaid in a silverish/gold inlay. Traditional nanako-ji (fish egg) background. The blade and the tsuba may not match in age, but habaki looks original. Please any further help with identifying this blade would go a long way. Thank you all in advance!

Warm Regards,

Gordon S

image10.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image6 2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image0 2.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image21.jpeg

Gordan,

while the blade looks like an authentic Japanese (long) WAKIZASHI (not WWII), the TSUKA is not Japanese. It may be from a cheap decoration sword. The TSUBA is probably not old but also from a IAITO or even decoration sword.

To say more, we would need photos of the complete (naked) blade from above and detail shots from the NAKAGO. If possible, it would be nice to see the HAMON as you describe it. Is there any HADA to be seen? Might be difficult in that state of polish.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Gordan,

while the blade looks like an authentic Japanese (long) WAKIZASHI (not WWII), the TSUKA is not Japanese. It may be from a cheap decoration sword. The TSUBA is probably not old but also from a IAITO or even decoration sword.

To say more, we would need photos of the complete (naked) blade from above and detail shots from the NAKAGO.

Hello Rokujuro! Thank you so much, please find attached the photos requested. 

image42.jpeg

image43.jpeg

image35.jpeg

image36.jpeg

Dear Gordon.

From what you have shown us this is, as Jean suggests, a Shinto wakizashi, nothing to do with Emura swords.  It has been put together with a koshirae in recent times and apart from the habaki nothing else is of any age.  The tsuba has clear casting seams and the lump of metal under the tiger is a bit of a give away.  I am sorry if that is bad news for you.  If you are thinking of restoration then probably best to get the blade polished and put in shirasaya, the koshirae does nothing for it.  Before you start it would be worth showing it to one of our Canadian members if any are near enough, they will see more in hand. 

Might be worth looking at Takada swords for comparison.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..