Tsuka with just one menuki

Vagabond

I would like your kind opinion about this matter.  In generale tsuka /koshirae have 2 menuki , one for each side.

As I have a single nice menuki, I thought to make a koshirae with just one menuki. The idea is to put the menuki  on the visible side , as the sword would be put on a kake / support.  

Ok, the best would be to have one menuki from both side, but as there will be  just one the visible display side, I think could be fine for me.

I'm not interesting in a future commercial value. It is for me.

What you think about? Thanks in advance

A tsuka with just 1 menuki would be too strange ... and ugly.

Some menuki have a direction. Becareful the menuki you got is in the right way for the display

If I were you I would look for another single menuki, even if it does not match the one you already have, in order to have 2 menuki in the tsuka. Single menuki are not so expensive.

OR I would found a menuki set to mount it in the tsuka and enjoy the single not mounted in a sword.

• Like 1

Dear Raffaele.

I presume you have checked out the Menuki Orphanage at the top of the For Sale section?  Amongst other things it highlights the thematic approach rather than just the matching pair idea which should give you some leeway.

All the best.

Hi Raffaele,

I have a Daisho and the menuki are mounted in the Yagyu style (or reverse); i.e under the palms of the hand when holding the Tsuka and the Wakizashi only has one menuki fitted. The other menuki is not missing.. This late Edo period Daisho was deliberately designed like this.. 

Maybe you could emulate that..?

Barrie.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

• Like 1

Barrie,

What is more than interesting is that as the Daisho is worn the missing menuki is on the omote facing the world.  One might expect that the single menuki would have been in this position and no one would realise that there was a missing menuki.  Could someone please explain(with apologies to Pauline Hanson)???

BaZZa.

• Like 1

BaZZa,

Totally agree. It is an oddity.. One would have thought that a Kamon would be far too important to not be 'on display'.... Obviously the original owner decided comfort (in his hand) when fighting, was more important..? Or he couldn't afford another menuki to be made..! 🤣

Raffaele,

So if you only have one menuki and it is only for display (for you), then maybe just place that one menuki on the Ura as you have stated.. As you say, you're not interested in future commercial value. Either way, good luck with your project.

Barrie.

Menuki profile and Ito patern.jpg

Maybe something to do with etiquette and indoor formal wear for the wakizashi.

Mal

In fact the koshirae is for formal wear with black shaudo tsuba/fuchi and kozuka, and black polished horn kashira.  Menuki is a circle 2 bar mon, one user as Ashikaga daimyo.

10 hours ago, Bazza said:

Lefty???  😲😲😲

BaZZa.

🤣🤣 hahaaa... Brilliant.

1 hour ago, mecox said:

Maybe something to do with etiquette and indoor formal wear for the wakizashi.

Mal

Hi Mal,

Never thought of that, but (in my little mind) is plausible.. 

Barrie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..