Is this wakizashi a good deal?

Yavuzii

Hello,

I am new to collecting genuine Japanese swords. I have just received my wakizashi I ordered straight from Japan. I spent approx $800 USD I was wondering if this is a good deal as the condition is not perfect but the sword is authentic.

Sincerely

Alex  

A76CE42F-4A2D-4E7E-90E8-3092F45CC229.jpeg

42695C7C-2C24-47A0-8157-954D018CDEFB.jpeg

27903C25-7329-4707-A077-9C08F32D8B09.jpeg

410C1686-9387-4F88-85B1-D54F16BBF8F1.jpeg

690AC06F-2F4C-4BDC-A16E-D3A0D02E7E19.jpeg

74289922-55FF-4626-BE66-40AA9817FC3C.jpeg

75F6B989-1D8D-4740-8AC8-CD242A7A7E74.jpeg

Hi Alex, we will need to see better pictures and pictures of the Nakago (tang) to confirm whether the sword is authentic or not.  Some of the parts (e.g., the tsuba or blade guard) are not authentic (i.e., the tsuba is a modern fake).  Can't give a price until we see more of the sword.

Hi Alex,

Can't tell much about the blade from your pictures.  I see nothing that makes me suspect it isn't real but, at the price you paid, it probably isn't real good.  The mounts are decidedly mediocre except for the tsuba, which I think is a modern fake.

I think you would do better to work with a dealer here in the west, in The States.  Communication is easier and, given your current knowledge level, you need lots of help and advice, something you can't expect from a Japanese dealer with an $800 sword.

Grey

• Like 1

Dear Alex.

Forgive me if you know all this already.  There is a saying that you pay for knowledge and this is a good example.  You already know that the tsuba is a repro/fake, you will look at lots of tsuba with a different eye from now on.  The fuchi, collar at the base of the hilt, is pretty average quality but genuine, the kashira, cap at the end of the hilt, is missing  and the hilt wrap is Japanese.  So what you have is an unsigned or mumei wakizashi, probably Shinto period.  It's genuine but it is representative of the commonest form of Japanese sword so not a great collectable.  That's fine, it is a good place to learn how to care for the sword, what to look for and what you can see.  I don't think you bought a bargain at todays market but you have a Japanese sword which may well be the start of something for you.  You are probably doomed at this point, once the fascination takes hold there is no escape.

At some point you  are  going to need to spend some money on a book or two to help you with the terminology, ask for some recommendations when you are ready.  Meanwhile enjoy the sword and the journey.

All the best.

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..