Inro Signing and value

Caracal

First may I recommend Wrangham's wonderful book? There you will find all the artists from the 古萬 Koma group and your particular inro/lacquer worker. (Koma Shinsai???)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Wrangham/dp/0952519445

Totally unable and unwilling to value such things, but you are asking about the inro, not the Netsuke or Ojime, right?

I am sure the inro cannot be worth less than USD 500 each, and possibly considerably more, but it will be a select and narrow customer base for them, I should imagine.

Some people spend their life studying published auction results to get such answers regarding value!

• Like 1

Caracal, it depends what your motivation is.

Do you want to buy them as an investment, or for a quick sale, or because you love them?

If the latter, then choose an absolute ceiling sum for you, don’t exceed it, and pray that no-one else loves it as much as you do. They are lovely.

(Apologies if I am overstating the obvious.)

• Like 1

Personally I can't ID the signsture you showed in the opening post. You could check out some of the bonham or christies sales catalogues as they frequently have inro with signatures and the artists listed together. I think I saw one such catalogue last week (if I can recover the link I'll add it later).

The value of inro goes up exponentially with its age and condition. Old ones are rarely flawless and thus condition being too good often means it's relatively young.

Edit: for what it's worth, the inro with the lobster and gold lacquer has a coral cord binder, which I think adds to the sea creature design. The red sphere in between the inro and netsuke. Of course I can't be sure of the material from photos alone but it sure looks like red coral.

Is there any connection between the number of boxes on the Inro and age.

Did they made different designs depending on the time period and Is there anything you can see depending on the time period.

La Mode probably already existed during the Edo period.

Some other characteristics of a good Inro.

// Robert

I think the top into is signed Koma Koryu saku (based on the Inro Handbook by Raymond Bushell). I know nothing about inro but this guy looks like a big name - one example sold for £36,000, so I’m guessing that it isn’t genuine. 
If you google the name you’ll see that the workmanship here is different. I’ll post the signature from the book in the morning. 

• Like 1

Nearly all inro are from the final century of Edo period. These are decent mid-upper grade examples, late, maybe 600-1000$ each.

Neither is unique or particularly good, you can buy things like these more or less anytime.

No auction house will "guarantee the authenticity" of pretty much anything, they can state a qualified opinion.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

Be careful what you buy. The first piece has an ivory netsuke and ojime. Most auction houses will not sell pieces with ivory. Often it is illegal to sell ivory out of the country. If you buy the first piece you may never be able to sell it. It would be a terrible investment.

Dick B.

The auction expert says.

INRO Japan, Meiji (1868-1912). Signed
Decor with cranes on both sides against a gold-plated base. Six parts. Length 8.5 cm. With netsuke in bone, diameter 4.5 cm.

INRO Japan, Edo 1800s
One side with decoration of lobster, the other with decoration in relief of plants, length 8.5 cm. with sculpted netsuke in wood in the form of fruit. Length 4 cm.

// Robert

Hard to judge from just one picture, but sometimes “bone” is the new name of ivory... ;-) 

As far as I understand, it is still legal to buy, sell and ship pre-1947 ivory artifacts within the EU, but you might need a CITES certificate stating that the item meets the requirements.

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/cites/pdf/guidance_ivory.pdf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..