Finally found my maetate

waljamada

So I had been on a maetate quest for a while now.  Found a few I loved but I had a $200 max budget I was willing to spend and lost out on all the others to other bidders.  One I just went too cheap and still kind of regret it....but I'm happy with the one I found and I stayed under my budget.

As a fair warning im positive this maetate will not "float everyone's boat".  But I have a penchant for folk art and things that give me a feeling and this checks both boxes.  It was only described as "old" so I'm not sure how old it is but it is simply a carved wooden maetate. 

I think this will go well with my old rough edged yoroi armor, menpo and zunari kabuto.  Still haven't put everything on the stand I built due to lack of space currently but ill photoshop this new piece on my old photoshop of my pieces (sadly seller didn't have a straight on shot of the maetate and I don't have it in hand yet).

Few questions...1) is the difference between maedate and maetate the construction/materials?  Google isn't helping me solve this.   2) anyone else want to share their carved wood maetate?

SmartSelect_20201126-224154_eBay.thumb.jpg.4f1698b23b42e0a2f2dcc929900bbda7.jpg

SmartSelect_20201126-224132_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20201126-224144_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20201126-224207_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

前立て , often shortened to 前立, is read maedate.  Yes it is 前に立つ (Mae ni Tatsu) 'stand in front', but grammatically speaking the sound of the T within a compound word generally softens to a D.  Like Wakidate and Ushirodate.

If you see Maetate written somewhere, it is not 100% wrong, but it just lacks that je ne sais quoi, IMHO.

Having said that, there seems to be no agreement yet among experts. I can find examples of both usages on the following site for example.

https://www.touken-world.jp/word-armor/helmet/page/3/#ancho5245

• Like 1

Ok, reading between the lines in my searches/research thats basically what I saw.  I could tell they were being used kind of interchangeably.  One pattern I did notice is the carved wood demon/oni heads or little figures that were on kabuto used the term maetate more often so had the theory it could be based on the materials/style.  I really love the carved wooden ones as I imagine they could have even been made by the samurai/soldier that wore it.  A form of trench/war art.  Obviously too they are one offs but may follow a larger motif or famous imagery/story/legend etc...  They have that personal touch on history that gets to me.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..