Translation of Fujishiro Certificate

JRW

Hi everyone,

I have a katana that I believe to be from the early edo/late koto period.  The blade came with an accompanying Fujishiro certificate that I'm having a hard time translating.  I've been able to work through most of the certificate, but I was hoping for help translating the two boxes highlighted in red:  

For the box on the upper right, the blade is mumei (無名) so I believe the highlighted text may be in connection with an attribution? 

For the box on the bottom left, the top two inscriptions could be information about the blade construction and the bottom two could be information about the hamon?  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  I'm brand new to the community/collecting, so I have no intention of using the information for commercial purposes, I'm just trying to understand more about the history of this blade!

Many thanks in advance! 

JW

InkedFujishiro Paper_LI.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, didn't quite get it all (see below). I'm not sure how much sword terminology you know, so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

From the right:

加州 - Sue Kashu - late Kashu, Kashu being the province of Kaga (not sure what this equates to in terms of time period but presumably shinto or later).

地鉄: 板目肌 - Ji tetsu: Itame hada.

刃文: 互の目乱 - Hamon: Gunome midare (some subtelty here that I may be missing, but I think that is correct).

(Next line - I'm struggling with the size of the print in the heading but it refers to the blade shape, in this case): 本刀 - Hon zukuri katana (same as shinogi zukuri)

彫物: 表裏腰樋 - Horimono: Omote, ura koshibi - there's a groove on both sides of the blade (I think) starting closest to the tang but not running full length of the blade.

There are a couple of other kanji here referring to carvings but I can't identify them, however, presumably you'll have an idea of what's on your blade, if not post a picture and I'm sure you'll get some help.

• Like 2

You're spot on that there is a groove on both sides starting at the tang that doesn't run the fully length of the blade.  It's also comforting to know that my effort attempting to translate wasn't a total loss, as I managed to determine Sue Kashu.  I just wasn't able to find any information on what that meant, so I assumed I had mistranslated!

Anyway, I can't thank you both enough for all your help!  There seems to be very little information out their on personal Fujishiro certificates, so you've both saved me weeks of additional research.  

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..