"In Memoriam" section?

Brian,

I did not wish to bring this up in Mr. Davidson's thread and appear as insensitive... and I do ask this question with the most honorable of intent.  Have you ever considered an "In Memoriam" section?... maybe in the members only area like the Izakaya?  It would be a wonderful way to remember/memorialize those who have 'gone before'.  Details of what it would look like can be discussed later if you and others think it is a good idea.  

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Should it be limited to members of this messageboard, or expanded to include people who have made a contribution to study in our areas?   A local collector in my sword club passed away. He was known as a collector to members of the club only. On the other hand, one of my mentors, a past President of the JSSUS, was a valued member here. I remember both fondly. One made huge contributions here and to the wider sword community, the other did not. 

• Thanks 1

Guys, a lovely gesture. But not practical. We would be forced to have one thread on this, can't set up a whole section. And then every time it is "bumped" with a new person...there would be no main notification of whom. You would need to visit the thread every time to see if it is a comment about the last person, or a new person, and who it is. And then what about local heroes? Who decides who is/was important to whom?
I think the best way to remember them is to do as we have done, and they have their own thread that can be searched for anytime. I'll set up a new "tag" called In Memoriam that these threads can be tagged with and searched for easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baka Gaijin said:

How about links to their contributions and articles maybe?

Lest we forget?

Gratitude can have a half life in seconds to future generations.

I know that at the beginning of the Internet, my two favorite sources of knowledge were Richard Stein site (thankfully still among us!) and the late and regretted Jim Kurrash. I remember printing and binding most pages of those sites and to this day I keep them as a sacred treasure and still refer to them. Jim’s contributions can still be accessed via the way back machine, but I think that such contributions, provided they are not copyrighted, should always be preserved. They deserve a place on this site. People like Jim Kurrash and so many others I may not even be aware of have unknowingly kindled the sword fire in many a person throughout the world. remembering them and preserving their work is, I think, a task that befalls to us. It is our way to perpetuate what they have done and pay respect to their memory.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brian said:

A whole forum category for this? It would contain 6 or 7 threads a year. No, I don't think that would be practical or efficient use of space

There might be all sorts of arguments against such a section of the forum – e.g. too gloomy – but "use of space" does not seem particularly compelling to me. What could be the downside of having an extra line after "Izakaya" in the members' area? Then each of the departed would get a tidy thread. The fewer per year, the better... ;-)

In terms of disk space, I am sure that the whole section would be quite insignificant.

• Thanks 1

Not talking about disk space. Talking about physical space on the main page. Do you know how many complaints I get that it is already "too busy" or too many sections? How extras like Katchu or Military get me complaints about having to wade through extra stuff, even though they can be hidden?
I just don't think we need a category for something that is so infrequent and yet would require a new category, new heading, new permissions mask and moderation when the way we do it now is perfectly adequate.
Can do a single thread either for the reasons above. I think what we have now is suitable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..