Sad News -- Paul Davidson

I just received word that Paul Davidson has passed away.  Paul was not active on this Board, but was a good friend and excellent colleague to many of us, and a leading figure in the world of nihonto study and collecting as President of the NBTHK-American Branch.  His loss leaves a major void in our little community.

Les

ive never had the pleasure to meet him or even discuss with him, but it is always a great loss to the sword community when someone (and especially someone as knowledgeable as him) passes. R.I.P.

3 hours ago, John A Stuart said:

Paul was one of those guys you thought would be around holding court forever. Condolences to the family. His shadow will be felt. John

As is often the case, John is absolutely spot on. I will miss his watchful presence.

In my mind, I thought he would be with us for a few more decades. He took care of himself both physically and mentally.

Most sincere regards and condolences for his family.

• Like 1

Paul's passing is a tragedy. I will miss him personally as dependable friend and wise advisor. We worked together on a couple of adventures that I recall with fondness. He had a wonderful manner and a common touch but Paul was also a deep and real expert. His collection is amazing and his library without par. A sword visit to Paul involved systematic presentation of pieces arranged and  curated to address the topic at hand.

Paul responsibly supported sword collecting in ways that will be hard to replace. He was advisor to the JSSUS and was also, of course, President of the NBTHK-AB. He was also the rarest kind of serious collectors. He built an amazing collection of high quality blades, fittings, and armor. And he did so at the highest level. Everything in Paul's collection was just right, fully documented, and appropriately preserved. His contributions to sword appreciation absolutely need documentation.

He was also hale and dynamic and the exact image of someone who would last forever. We all assumed that Paul would be there when we would need him. I truly can't understand what American Japanese sword collecting will be like without him.

Peter

• Like 7

I'm very sad to hear that Paul has passed. I really enjoyed my conversations with him at sword shows. He was extremely knowledgeable and happy to share with others what he knew. He always had that extra nugget of really good insight about a sword that you had overlooked. He will be sorely missed.

I would like to add my voice to those expressing the sadness about Paul's passing.  He was always generous with thoughts and ideas with me, and was clearly a student of the sword and a real connoisseur.  He will be missed greatly.   Peter did a good job describing some of the important work that Paul did for all of us.  RIP

• Like 1

I am shocked and saddened at the news of Paul's passing. He was always helpful, sharing, and the consummate gentleman. He, his, wife, and I shared the same profession, and it was always a joy to  discuss swords and the law with Paul. I will miss him, and seeing him at the SF Token Kai and the DTI. What a joy it has been to share this wonderful journey with a person like Paul.  My condolences to his family and friends. What a great guy,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..