Bought a tsuka

DoTanuki yokai

Christian,

that is a very humble TSUKA in not so good condition (IAIT-TO?). You bought it for the MENUKI, but what do you know about them? I would expect them to be of the same very simple quality as the FUCHI-GASHIRA set, and this can mean that they are only made of sheet metal, formed in a press-mold. The KIRI MON design is not necessarily a guarantee of better quality!

Anyhow, let's hope the best, and when you have dismounted the MENUKI, please show them here to prove that I was wrong!  

• Like 1

I absolutely agree.  Not everything "good" has to be dripping with gold or covered in exquisite workmanship.  These fuchigashira are to my mind and eye very well made bordering on excellent (brickbats welcome!).  It is a pity, methinks, that the tsuka has been separated from its blade and koshirae.  I'm thinking this came from a Shinshintou katana.  The "eye-hole" in the kashira should tell a story, but I can't read it.  I actually rank the fuchigashira above the menuki.

BaZZa.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..