Work sheet translation please.

shakudo

Hi all, I recieved this pic of a worksheet for my sword that was offered for NBTHK shinsa in March. Am really interested to see what information is available from it? Sword is mumei and attributed to Kanewaka but thats all I have- sword and papers still in Japan. 

Many thanks in advance.Screenshot_20201122-183511.thumb.jpg.9d57c6fffbe12c665cd07901f7cf305e.jpg

Hi Piers,

Many thanks for your efforts. Dont know if I can tighten the focus or not?

Also not sure if NBTHK would give a generation- guessing just school as NTHK but you never know- wishful thinking I suppose.

But pleased to hear from you and thanks again. 

Hello Mike,

That paper doesn't mention any date. The first paper you posted mentioned early Edo. That's as fine of a pinpoint as you are likely to get on a mumei blade that doesn't tick all the boxes for any one particular smith. There were only about 4 Kanewaka smiths in Kashū (加州 - Kaga-han), so your field is already super limited. 

Also, look around on the site below for more info. And, as always, look at the sword itself and try to figure out what the sword is telling you. Bear in mind that the best appraisers in the world (arguably) already looked at the sword, and collectively the best they could come up with is "Early Edo Kanewaka", so you would have to be a collector of Kanewaka swords of all types and really dig down into the forensics of the thing in order to be able to out-judge the experts at NBTHK.

https://nihontoclub.com/schools/KashuKanewaka

If you are looking for any small hint in the wording, the first attribution above is to Edo Zenki, 前期. Although this can mean early Edo Period, it could also mean in a broader sense, the longish period that comes before Chuki 中期 or mid-Edo. It does not say Edo Shoki 初期, though, which would have placed it right at the beginning of Edo, so you can probably scrub the earlier generation that came from Mino to Kaga. (Not such a long distance.) Since we know that swords were going through the switchover from Koto to Shinto, then a study of the blade characteristics might help you narrow the dating a little, by which side of a watershed it falls, i.e. does it have Shinto influences in it?

Hi Piers,

Many thanks again.I will look more at the sugata when it comes back from  Japan. I would post some pics but I foolishly did not take one of the whole blade so makes it a bit hard. It has reasonable fumbari( width at habaki?) But doesnt taper drastically like a bizen blade and has a medium boshi. 

Thanks again- more research!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..