Mekugi Nuki

Although the square cross-section handles are similar, the heads are different. The key may well be in the word scraper. What does a pipe scraper do?

(Mine is probably a seam marker for cloth.)

Among the possibilities that did cross my mind, if there was to be any connection with swords,  was a sort of vellum scraper, for wet same' handle wraps. Lastly I wondered if it was to be used as a tapper block under a wooden mallet, for removing very tight tsuka from shira-saya.(?)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Although the square cross-section handles are similar, the heads are different. The key may well be in the word scraper. What does a pipe scraper do?

(Mine is probably a seam marker for cloth.)

Among the possibilities that did cross my mind, if there was to be any connection with swords,  was a sort of vellum scraper, for wet same' handle wraps. Lastly I wondered if it was to be used as a tapper block under a wooden mallet, for removing very tight tsuka from shira-saya.(?)

Pipe scrapers remove excess tar, carbon and other build up from the bowl of a pipe. Japanese tobacco pipes had quite small bowls, I doubt it really is the specific use for it but might be along those lines.

Dear All.

A confession of sorts.  Many years ago, (pre internet if you can believe such a time existed), I decided to make my own mekugi nuki.  All I had to go on was an illustration in Stone's Glossary so off I went.  Found some nice brass and built my own, threaded punch and all. It turned out well and I was quite pleased with myself.  It was some years before I came across another Japanese one and realised that mine was a bit of a beast.  It is beside a conventional one in the photo and you can probably see it's more appropriate for cracking coconuts than getting the mekugi out.  However I have to say I have yet to come across a mekugi that can resist it!  😀  One or two visiting collectors have blanched a little when I get it out to dismantle their sword.

635539135_DSCF0464(2).thumb.JPG.910eec799ec281bc7acb29928191683f.JPG

All the best.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

• 2 years later...

George, I am beginning to think your *object above may be for removing stuck shira-saya Tsuka, for a quick tap of a wooden mallet.(?) *Ah, but see Jean C below!

Today I discovered another mekugi-nuki, with a date on it, (乙亥 Kinoto-i, the same year as Waterloo, 1815) and possibly the maker/owner’s name. (Sasaki?)

A664A045-E08B-41AF-8AA1-9320AF22E0B3.thumb.jpeg.37e0b981ddcc15b1500e0d3ed9e15a66.jpeg

I could image these "scrapers" (which they are certainly not) to be intended for pushing the TSUKA-ITO to the side (and reposition it after the process) in case it blocks the access to the MEKUGI.

Piers' MEKUGI-NUKI in the last post has a flattened handle end, and I think it could be meant for the same purpose.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..