First Akihide?

Jim Manley

I thought this blade might be of some interest to collectors of Gunto and Showato. It is a 43" (Nagasa!) O-tachi by Hikosaburo Akihide. It must be among his first swords made when he was only 18 years old. He made it to comerate his brothers safe return from the war.  Akihide was a pivotal figure in the Japanese Sword world leading up to and including the war years. He trained many smiths, and facilitated the production of many of the swords we have in our collections.  Anyway,  this beast is now in the capable hands of Mr. Benson (It should give him a good workout). If possible I'll bring it to Chicago and /or post photos when I get it back. 

Jim M. 

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

家兄定吉君征清役凱旋紀念   Commemorate to my brother Sadakichi's triumphant return from the Sino-Japanese War(campaign of Qing Dynasty).
Akihide was born in 1879, the Sino-Japanese War is from 1894-1895, he should be 16 years old when the war over,maybe this sword took him one year to finish?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..