KatsuMitsu Tachi ?

Edward G

Hello  all.  I welcome any/all  opinions on this new acquisition.  I need help in trying to determine which KatsuMitsu is this one, and from what time period?    I have attached many pictures.  The sword is mounted in excellent condition early Shin Gunto type 94 mounts, in original matching condition.  All seppas, tsuba, and even under the fuchi on the tsuka have matching numbers, appears to even have original Mekugi from WW 2.  Obtained with 3 other Japanese Swords from a veterans estate, and it has never been on the market previously.

This sword bears a two character signature KasuMitsu signed TachiMei.  Currently the cutting edge measures  about 27 ½ inches, with a current sori of between 5/8  to 3/4 inches.   There are 4 or 5 Mekugi-Ana, it is a classic O’Suirage, at one time the cutting edge would probably have been estimated to be 31-32 inches.  The thick tang and narrow sword indicates that it received few polishes over time.  

Currently the sword is out of polish now and it is hard to capture the hamon & hada.  Any thoughts about this old soldier is appreciated.

Edward G.

8.JPG

6a.JPG

7.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1g.JPG

1f.JPG

1d.JPG

1e.JPG

1c.JPG

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

1.JPG

• Like 1

There are a lot of smiths named Katsumitsu (勝光), several of whom signed with just two characters. Many others included their location as part of their mei. I think you'll have a slightly difficult time pinpointing which Katsumitsu signed this sword, without knowing what the hada looks like. Superficially, the length, shape, and the multiple times the blade was shortened, hints at something 500-600 years old.

The family crest on the tsuka (pommel) is called oshiki ni mokkō (折敷に木瓜), or "quince in wooden tray" in English. 

Second from the left on the bottom row on the link below. Hard to say for sure which family may have owned this sword, since family crests are used by multiple families.

http://www.harimaya.com/o_kamon1/zukan2/mokkou.html

Beautiful fittings, by the way, but in your case the sword is probably much more interesting than the fittings. I would try to get a professional to look at the sword to see if the date can be narrowed down, and to advise if it would benefit from a polish. Probably goes without saying, but don't attempt any restoration work yourself, or you could cause irreparable damage. 

Thank you Steve M, Yasaka Azuma, and Stephen for your comments.  I appreciate the opinions.  Hopefully I will be able to narrow it down sometime into the future by showing it in person to some knowledgeable folks at one of the Sword Shows when they start having them again.

Thanks all

Edward  G

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..