Prince Chibata's gunto practice sword

Jim Manley

Thomas suggested I create a separate thread about this Murata-to. I have very limited information so I'll share what I can.  the Nagasa is 25 3/8" . All of the fittings, including the habaki are copper. The tsuba too is copper and patinated black. The Saya is canvas covered and may be sealed with lacquer. The blade was polished and the original polisher's marks remain. There is a definate nioi line along the suguha hamon. 

In Mr. Ohmura's article on Murata-to he includes a photo of Prince Chibata's identical blade which is signed and dated 1933 along with the aribic no. 116.  I don't know if the fittings & kosheri for Prince Chibata's blade survived or if they were like those on my blade which I assume are original. 

Jim M. 

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jim Manley said:

In Mr. Ohmura's article on Murata-to he includes a photo of Prince Chibata's identical blade which is signed and dated 1933 along with the arabic no. 116.  I don't know if the fittings & koshirae for Prince Chibata's blade survived or if they were like those on my blade which I assume are original.

Just a small correction here if I may.  There is a small error in regards to the date of Prince Chichibu's practice sword 練習刀.  The obverse of the nakago is dated 大正八年八月吉日 which comes to August 1919.  The logo on the nakago denotes manufacture by Tōkyō Artillery Arsenal  東京砲兵工廠 (1879 to 1923), one of two such arsenals in Japan at the time.  Both arsenals reported directly to the War Minister.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jim Manley said:

Here are some shots of my Murata-to. All the fittings are copper and the saya is canvas wrapped. It is not sharpened which makes sense if it is a practice sword. Also there are no Menuki but ovals of wood to orient the hands on the Tsuka. No. 103 w/ arsenal stamp. Two mekugi ana .  Amazingly it's in perfect condition, 

Jim M.

IMG_0759.JPG

Are both mekugi-ana 目釘孔 used by the current tsuka 柄?  I can only see one peg hole in the hilt pictured in the OP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..