Gunto information

11 hours ago, Dave R said:

Well it's not a gunto, which is a military sword, but it is mounted as a Katana. If it is Japanese made then by law it has to be traditionally made any thing else would be an illegal weapon, but........

Probably made as a traditional blade for a shin-gunto then, and since remounted in Buke-Zukuri mounts. Nice one to have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is my first time using NMB, really awesome to be able to talk with people who really see more then a piece of metal and understand it's a artistic masterpiece thanks again you guys for the replies I'll be back soon to show my Muromachi period katana that should be here any day now.

• Like 1

Looks like a match to Showa smith.

Kanekado

Submitted by kazarena on Mon, 2007-05-14 19:13
兼門
☆  昭和︱ 岐阜県
Yoshida Kanekado
ID KAN1077
Name Kanekado
Province Gifu
Era Shōwa (1926-1989)
Active Period 1926-1989
Teacher Kaneaki
Lineage Image / Interactive

Source Rating Reference/Page
Hawley 8 KAN1077 
Signatures:
関住吉田兼門
seki ju yoshida kanekado (kokuin)

kanekad2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, Edward Mahle said:

Can anyone help me understand what kind of sword I have a family friend sold it to me. He owns a place in Japan and got it straight from there so its guaranteed made in Japan but is traditionally made one or not.

IMG_20201117_074143928~2.jpg

post-683-0-61415200-1503499486.jpg

Looks like a nice gendai-to. Can you show up detailed pictures of hamon and hada?

• Thanks 1

I’m not entirely convinced it is a Showato. First, I don’t think the dark spots are that obvious in the picture, second, if it comes from Japan, it is illegal (okay, I know, laws are meant to be bent), finally, you don’t often see Showato with hi. However, true, the lack of Hada and the absence of activities point towards Showato.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JP i go with you. The blade looks something we see from a well known seller on ebay. The signature is a little strange. But i think it is a good sword for practice. I'm not really convinced too that it is a real showa-to.

For the price. It is up to you what you asking for. The Koshirae looks new with older Habaki, Seppa and Tsuba.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..