Dyed rubbing alcohol - ok to use for cleaning?

Hello all-

I used to use 90-99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the old oil and such off my blades back in the US. However since moving to Thailand I've only been able to find the blue dyed 70% ethyl. I think by law they have to dye the non-consumable alcohols. I've read the old discussions on the types and percentages, but my question is if the blue dye agent makes it un-usable to clean the blades? I've been hesitant to use anything that contained additives. Wasn't sure if anyone in other countries that mandate the dye have used them.

I could always Amazon a small bottle over but APO/DPO frowns upon "hazardous chemicals" and didn't want to run afoul of them.

-Cheers and thanks.

(Admins, I used the general topics but move wherever fits best)

Bear in mind you are only using it to clean off old oil, and thereafter you are oiling again. So I expect as long as you wipe off and it all dissolves...and as long as you oil it after, it shouldn't be a problem.
Not idea though, sounds like methylated spirits. Speak to the pharmacies, they must be able to get the real stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Brian and John.

Brian-I talked to a few pharmacies by me (in Thai) but they only kept the shelf stuff. I might try one of the hospital pharmacies next time I am over there. Latest word is the State-owned school supply chain might sell them for science projects. So that will be my next stop.

John- that's exactly the one I got, it's ethyl based, but more or less similar for our purposes. Will give it a go tonight on one.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..