Nakago - Ubu, Suriage?

Yama Arashi

1 hour ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

Looks ubu to me, what does Tsurota say ? 

I've sent an inquiry into him via email.

He generally references cut shortened or suriage in his descriptions, but there is no mention of it on either the English or Japanese site. 

It just appeared slightly short to me perhaps (although the blade isn't all that lengthy, but quite wide/stout) along with the mei running all the way to the end - was curious if anyone here might have a more learned opinion just from seeing it, were that possible.

Thank you for the replies.

Although the machi area/hamon etc., appears correct to me, I also assumed he meant machiokuri, especially considering a new item posted yesterday specifically states in the description that the blade is "machiokuri (cut shortened)"

I was able to get further clarification from Mr. Tsuruta: "We mean the Nakago seems was cut a little bit to arrange a shape, not a Suriage. So it is almost Ubu-Nakago."

So how much shortened/shaped, who knows. It's a very stout blade (18.3" nagasa, 3.41cm at the hamachi, 645 gram blade weight) so I wasn't sure if the proportion appeared slightly off due to that influence.

Export license in progress whatever the case!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Surfson said:

Just skimmed this thread.  I have a blade by this guy, and Darcy has one on his site Yuhindo.  Both mine and his are signed Nagatsuna.  The jiri looks different on yours to my eye.  Are you sure that Hirotsuna is the same as Nagatsuna?  

https://yuhindo.com/tsunbo-nagatsuna-katana/

Certainly a point of contention it seems, as noted in the forward on the Yuhindo link:

"The meikan records list another smith of the Tadatsuna school who signed "tsunbo", namely Hirotsuna (広綱). Either the 1st generation Tadatsuna had started a kind of campaign to support deaf young men and train them to become swordsmiths, or it was as others assume that Nagatsuna and Hirotsuna were the same person. However, Hirotsuna is listed as a Kishū-Ishidō smith with Kii as his main production place (i.e. not Ōsaka)."

Prior to purchasing, I did attempt to dig up as many examples as possible, to compare signatures, nakago shapes, etc. Which in part, is why I've been so dogged about figuring out what exactly was going on with the "cut shortened" reply and so on.

The jiri is definitely different from any examples I was able to find (so it has been altered to whatever extent as aforementioned) although, I wasn't able to find any other photos of a "Hirotsuna" example, prior to the supposed same person signing as "Nagatsuna" while under Tadatsuna.

I'd love to see your Nagatsuna blade if you have photos available.

The Aoi description held this:

Wakizashi in Shirasaya (NBTHK Hozon Paper)
Signature: Awataguchi Minamoto Hirotsuna Saku (Dojin Sesshu Ju Fujiawara Nagatsuna)
Motte Nanbantetsu Zo Kore
Special feature: Tsunahiro is old name of Nagatsuna. He was Tadatsuna’s student and he was deaf. The width of this sword 3.41 and this is very wide, also thick and healthy. There is no flaw.

From Aoi Art: This Wakizashi is not so long but it is vey wide and thick so it has 645 grams. Before long Tsunahiro made this sword, he changes his name to Nagatsuna and became a student of Tadatsuna. He was deaf so he engraved Shu(deaf)-Nagatsuna in some of his swords.

銘: 粟田口源広綱作 (摂州住藤原長綱 同人)
以南蛮鉄造之
新刀:上作:業物:摂津
当社では刀工の出来によって最上作、上々作、上作、普通作を記載しております
本作の出来は 粟田口源広綱作としては上々作にランクされる作品です。

特徴:広綱はのちに長綱と称し、
忠綱の門人となり聾であった為に聾長綱と自ら称した。

葵美術より一言:まず驚かされるのは肉置きの良い
がっしりとした体配で重量が645グラムと健全な作品といえます。
広綱はその後長綱と名前を変えて
やがて忠綱の門人となり有名な刀工として活躍をする。
聾であった為に聾長綱と称し茎にもその事を記す作品もある。
本作は彼が精魂を込めて制作した痕跡が窺える無疵、
無欠点の佳作です。是非お勧めしたい作品です。
保存刀剣鑑定書

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..