Yoshikuni for review

m4l700

I am mainly a gunto/gendai collector, however for some time I've been looking for a kai-gunto(naval) with an older nihonto blade and I came across this one.

Before I make the call, is there anything that is strange about the blade itself with these pictures? I know this is difficult from pictures but could the mei possibly be gimei or? It looks to be crudely made.

Thanks to Jean for translation of the mei, it might be one of the Yoshikuni's? https://nihontoclub.com/view/smiths/meisearch?order=title&sort=desc&page=15&type=All&mei_op=contains&mei=

Thanks!

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

44021C8C-2B08-47A6-B0B4-C0F5002F47B1_800x608.jpg

B5B13EB9-224A-4613-B946-77BC05A542B9_800x608.jpg

09FC789A-7177-44DD-B205-5EEE6008F2AF_800x608.jpg

筑州柳川鬼塚吉國

Chikushū Yanagawa Onizuka Yoshikuni

Maybe one of the Yoshikuni smiths from #275 to #279 on the page you linked to. Would need a bit more info and research to pinpoint which one. As always, it could also be a forgery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi David,

There's what looks like a large gouge (doesn't look like a normal forging delamination) near the tip in the fourth picture down which would make me think twice.

Thank you for pointing that out John! I did ask for some extra pictures of that area, to have a closer look.

Dear David.

In terms of what you re looking for this is a good piece.  A nice Kaigunto with the fish skin saya, all the fittings in good condition and the knot, combined with a good looking civil sword.  You don't give the length but in this context I don't think it matters very much.

Of course it is possible that it is gimei but that isn't going to bother you unless you plan on having it polished and going to shinsa.  It clearly didn't bother the man who carried it.

Without discussing price I think this ticks all your boxes

Enjoy!

All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..