O-Kissaki Katana

waljamada

Adam, if you’re looking for Shinsakuto, I’d go with Akamatsu Taro. They are relatively affordable and are specialized in Kiyomaro Utshushi, therefore long, hefty swords with Ō- kissaki. You can custom order them or buy one already made. I can find links if you are unable to source them .

I have one, and it’s a real beauty.

JP, shinsakuto hadn't crossed my mind to be honest.  I think the "newest" that I contemplated as an option is say pre 1945-ish. So I'd do a gendaito but would be pretty hesitant to do a shinsakuto (which is like post 1950's?).  I think one of my collector/nihonto genes require swords I purchase to have been made during a time of active (in this case) Japanese societal/military "battle use" of swords.

I can understand that Adam.

I also had reservations about getting a shinsakuto. However, they are probably the best way to look at everything a sword has to give being new and in their first polish.

I second JP's advice about Akamatsu Taro. You can often find them online on Japanese sites. There's one currently for sale in Europe here: https://www.japanszwaard.nl/z21.html (JP pointed me to this page earlier)

The blade is absolutely massive, you will be shocked just by the size of the shirasaya.

Archived