Two Type 98’s for review

hale1940

Hey there,

I’m eyeing up these two Type 98s and I wanted to see what you guys think of them and what other information you guys may have. 

The first one has a combat cover and is signed by Kiyo Nobu and the asking is 1900 USD. 

The second is a 1943 piece made by Takehisa. The lock button on this one is broken. Asking is 1500 USD 

Im pretty new to these guys, so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Even if I don’t buy either its good learning experience. 

https://imgur.com/a/HR92hHA

And, I did an Imgur link because the way the photos were shaped meant they got horribly cropped when I uploaded them directly onto the post. 

Hale,

The numbers on fittings, like John said, are put there by the fitting shops to keep all the parts together for a particular blade.  Each blade has different curves and thicknesses, so the fittings are customized, filed to fit nakago, etc, for a particular blade.  The numbers keep those parts together when not on the blade, like for polishing. 

If you have all matching numbers, it simply tells you all the parts were original from it's making.  But many gunto have parts without numbers at all, or have a mix of numbered and unnumbered parts.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..