Tanto mounted twice hard to read tang

Tonkotsu

Here is a tanto that I have had for years that I know nothing about. I assume it has been mounted before. The tang is hard to read. I photographed it with different light sources and black and white reversed. I hope it is readable. Thank you for your help,

Dick

both-sides-of-tanto.jpg

blade-botht-side.jpg

three-tangs.jpg

kogi.jpg

• Like 2

Ray,

Thank you for reading and translating the tanto for me. I never knew that I have two swords and a tanto that date from the late sixteenth, early seventeenth centuries. I appreciate the history of that tumultuous period of Japanese history. The fact that I am the caretaker of these weapons that were made to be used, and may have been used, rather than being status symbols is very exciting. Thank you again for your help. Peter, great comment. Thank you.

Dick

• Like 1

That is a tricky conversation....I doubt that too many blades are restored and end up worth the cost; however, as the caretaker of a piece of historical functional art, sometimes it is worth doing something to restore them to their proper condition.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..