Question about koshirae

francois2605

I have some questions regarding this shin-gunto koshirae.

IMG_20201109_190401.thumb.jpg.9f4cac869b101c4ef7f91f59e905be1b.jpg

How do you name this type of koshirae ? I'm referring to the one with the brown granular surface under the leather. I thought that this was some sort of unfinished saya but recently stumbled upon a similar one on the net and realised this was probably a "regular" finish.

The surface of the leather cover also indicates that there is a semegane (you can see the bump on the 3rd sword in the picture). This makes me wonder about the overall state of the saya under the leather. I don't intend to remove the leather but I was wondering if you knew of people who removed the leather and what they found.

IMG_20201109_180620.thumb.jpg.d838c550eebcf793bd092780c37431b2.jpg

Thanks,

On 1/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mister Gunto said:

The second is the scabbard is coated with a textured finish that I believe is called Ishimeji or Sand finish. (If I'm wrong on that, please correct me). While I've seen Ishimeji applied to Type 98 Officer's sword scabbards, I have never seen it put on a Type 32, or even a Type 95. My understanding is the Type 32 Ko wasn't issued to Officers, only NCO's and Troopers of the Calvary units.

Ishimeji 石目地 maybe?  Try looking up the term in Sesko's book, Encyclopedia of Japanese Swords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

The finish is considered an upgrade.  Someone paid extra money for that.  The higher-quality seppa support the idea of a high-class gunto.  I don't own any metal saya covered with leather, so others will chime it, but your looks to be pretty immaculate, protected by the leather.

Interesting, thanks Bruce. The koshirae contains a sword by Ishido Teruhide, I guess this could explain the higher quality seppa ?

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

Ishimeji

Thanks Thomas, this could be it. From Sesko's:

ishimeji-nuri (石目地塗り) Ishime-ji finish on a cabbard. Also referred to as iwame-ji (岩目地, lit. “rock surface”).

Will try to find pictures to confirm.

Edit: Found a similar koshirae here 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As John says, found with Gendaito or older blades. The darker example has a YASUKUNI smith blade, and the red coloured has an old family blade. My guess is that they were probably owned by non-combat senior officers, as the painted soft wood saya would be impractical in battle and weather. The fittings found on them are usually higher grade as well. 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..