Wakizashi Identification!

On 11/7/2020 at 6:29 PM, DoTanuki yokai said:

It would be helpfull if you put down that "habaki" but i would say from what i see its a shortend sue bizen blade.

I think its a Sukesada 😄

Hello Christian, I have managed to finally pull off the habaki. Please find pictures attached, I think you are right. 

image0 (1).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

image4 (2).jpeg

image5 (2).jpeg

On 11/7/2020 at 9:49 PM, Ken-Hawaii said:

You cam use a piece of wood, tapped by a small hammer, to persuade the habaki to stretch & yawn.

Weldome to NMB, Gordan.

Thank you so much Ken! I finally managed to take off the habaki, it was cemented on there pretty well (took a lot more than a piece of wood) . Find pictures without the habaki attached, and let me know your thoughts :)

image0 (1).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

image4 (2).jpeg

image5 (2).jpeg

On 11/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Stephen said:

Im still in true nihonto court but she's heavily abused blade might have been katana at one time.

Light tapping on habaki to see whats under but possible its braised on.

Hello Stephen! It is with great excitement that I would like to announce that I managed to take off the habaki. It took some serious grit and pounding but here are the shots :). Let me know what you think. 

image0 (1).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

image4 (2).jpeg

image5 (2).jpeg

On 11/8/2020 at 11:31 AM, 16k said:

Actually, looking at it again, while I still have doubts about the blade, I’m starting to think the Habaki won’t move because it isn’t a Habaki. The shape looks suspicious, just like a big piece of yellow copper pipe fitted and maybe cemented to the blade.

You were spot on. Upon finally removing the habaki, it was indeed cemented to the blade somehow. Pictures for your reference included. 

image1 (1).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (2) copy.jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

• Like 1

Looking at the machi, someone has butchered them so they no longer line up correctly by grinding up the blade. However, misaligned machi is also a HUGE red flag for a Chinese fake. So.. this definitely muddies the waters more.

My gut says its still real.. just horribly abused and thrown into lousy modern mounts.

• Like 1

Writing as someone who did also once buy a nihonto blade in type 95 mounts, I think it's a real blade abused and fitted up to sell. It could be Bubba or one of the (much) less scrupulous dealers. The nakago is too good for a cheap Chinese knock off in my opinion.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..