Sukashi shape

kissakai

It was bought from Jonny from the NMB a few weeks ago

It is a very nice pre Edo Kyo sukashi tsuba that Ford did a light restoration and it is in very nice condition

All I did was remove the background and the colour depth to two colours so that why it looked strange as it was only the shape I was asking about

This is on the link

Date 1637
Categories Geometric: Rhombus (Other), Color: Multicolor (On Banner), Color: Yellow on Black, Color: Black on Blue
Sources Xavid “Kihō” Pretzer. O-umajirushi: A 17th-Century Compendium of Samurai Heraldry. The Academy of the Four Directions. 2015. pg. 194.

Best match but no clan name stated

Maybe my Umbro tsuba!

• Like 1

Grev,

I have a tsuba identical to this one, except that the diamonds have been removed and its been reheated giving it a melted Kanayama look.  I've posted it before and despite it's modification it is one of my favourite tsuba.  I just love the iron.  But subsequently I found this one with the diamonds intact.  It was on a ko-Enju juyo blade (Gallerie Zacke) and the tsuba was described as  'The exquisite Kyo-sukashi tsuba complements the cloud theme of the saya'.  So maybe yours is an abstract (cubist) cloud design. Sorry did not get a copy of the saya cloud design

image.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..